The Newsroom

Anglia/East of England News Discussion

ITV News Anglia and Look East (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
m_in_m
Is there any particular standards the regions are instructed to follow? It all seems so much of a mish mash!

I guess this is one of the downsides for the BBC over ITV. Am I correct in thinking ITV graphics are centralised in Birmingham where as in the BBC each region handles there own?
NG
noggin Founding member
Is there any particular standards the regions are instructed to follow? It all seems so much of a mish mash!

I guess this is one of the downsides for the BBC over ITV. Am I correct in thinking ITV graphics are centralised in Birmingham where as in the BBC each region handles there own?

Each BBC region certainly generates its own content graphics on-site (though sub-regions may share design facilities with their 'mother' region sometimes)

Opening titles, historically, have varied. Some refreshes have involved Network, Nations and English regions getting titles all made by the same team (though not always introduced simultaneously). Other refreshes have been locally generated.

There is always a tension between consistency/uniformity and local editorial variation, and local teams often have a better understanding of their audience than a team covering the whole country would (particularly when featuring local landmarks, place names etc.).

Given that only a small number of TV enthusiasts regularly watch multiple regions, the important thing is that the network brand and each local variation look and sound to be part of the same brand. It's far less important that every region looks identical - as most people only watch one region.

What SHOULD be specified nationally (and adhered to) is a common branding style guide (and someone in each region who understands it well enough to enforce it) - though this isn't always the case it seems. (With some slightly random font choices being made in some cases...)
MI
m_in_m
Saturday Look East bulletin coming from Cambridge with Janine. It seems Cambridge might not have access to th3 region wide titles.
ST
South Today
Saturday Look East bulletin coming from Cambridge with Janine. It seems Cambridge might not have access to th3 region wide titles.

Janine on a Saturday... Maybe Susie on Sunday! Yes please.
MI
m_in_m

I think Cambridge are providing bulletins where weather is coming from the London hub so unlikely to be Susie tomorrow. I'm guessing this is for Christmas only and will be back to normal after New Year.
ST
South Today

I think Cambridge are providing bulletins where weather is coming from the London hub so unlikely to be Susie tomorrow. I'm guessing this is for Christmas only and will be back to normal after New Year.

Oh yes I completely agree due to the festive season with the main presenting team working a day each. Stewart Christmas Eve, Amelia Boxing Day and Amanda on Friday.
HA
harshy Founding member

It is an absolute mess, the titles are in Helvetica but then use Gil Sans on the screens and Aston’s, I can only imagine the regional teams behave like the ITV regions use too and if they didn’t like what came centrally they would do their own thing, results are what we are seeing in the regions, north west tonight dosent seem to have any of these sort of issues as it’s benefits from being part of the wider Salford operation.
DE
deejay
When new looks are rolled out, everything is generally coherent at first. But then as ‘refreshes’ occur here and there, usually created locally, things begin to drift.
When Reith is launched in news you should find things all look the same again, but then as noggin has pointed out (in this thread or another, I can’t remember) so long as your region looks like it’s in the same branding family as the network, it really doesn’t matter if there are small differences between regions as most people only watch one.
MI
m_in_m
The graphics that drive me crazy are the sport ones. There seems to be a struggle to make them fit in with BBC Sport and the regions branding.

That said we've seen pictures of some of the kit regions are working with and some of these changes are far from simple to make.
MW
Mike W
The graphics that drive me crazy are the sport ones. There seems to be a struggle to make them fit in with BBC Sport and the regions branding.

That said we've seen pictures of some of the kit regions are working with and some of these changes are far from simple to make.

Floppies for new fonts on Astons?

Let's be honest the titles are stale now and need refreshing. Regions need to stop their incessant tinkering though, it's starting to look awful in some parts of the world (Look Hull for instance)
ST
South Today

Floppies for new fonts on Astons?

Let's be honest the titles are stale now and need refreshing. Regions need to stop their incessant tinkering though, it's starting to look awful in some parts of the world (Look Hull for instance)

I completely agree completely stale. Just let them do their own thing completely if nothing new is on the horizon. NWT has been using the same bland black and whir titles since the move to MediaCity in 2011!
LS
Lou Scannon
Weren't there rumours a while back of a proper set overhaul in early 2019 for BBC Breakfast?

If true, it would clearly have implications for NWT too. So, there may be hope...

Newer posts