TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KU
Kunst
I was flicking through the UKTV channels and I couldn't believe they were showing My Family on 2 channels at the same time.

Now that definetely hasn't sold me on subscribing to their pay channels after the free period on virgin ends.

Presumably two different episodes.

Mind you I saw Peter Andre on two different "Christmas Music" shows on the MTV network earlier today so duplication of talent (or not as the case may be, no inference toward Mr Andre with regards to that comment) across channels isn't unique to UKTV.

UKTV is so commercially rammed these days from what it used to be, you now see two internal breaks during repeats of Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers and anything else from the BBC catalogue so the EPG slot easily stretches to 45 or 50 minutes when the programme only runs for 29 minutes anyway. It only ever used to be one internal break and an EPG slot of 40 minutes for everything.

I think the programmes you're referring to are "special" episodes that ran for longer than 29 minutes, on the BBC

Normally, 29 mins long shows still have their EPG entry on a 40 minutes slot, if not less, sometimes

They really cannot stretch a 29 mins slot for longer than 40 minutes, they still have a 12 minutes of adverts per hour maximum

However, I'm annoyed by their strict scheduling based on the 30/60 minutes, especially when it comes to drama
So many edits, particularly on the likes of W and Alibi

Just run the BBC dramas (59 minutes ca) on a slot 75 minutes long, including ads!
KU
Kunst
To be honest W has sort of cherry picked what would have ideally been at home on the other channels (either that or they've dumped stuff on it they've bought but don't have a natural home for, like Tipping Point for example).

I know its all about audience share these days and what not but realistically in my own eyes I think the channels have lost their way content wise. They did use to have a UK Gold 2 which eventually, three names later morphed into Dave but I don't believe the end result would have made any difference whether it was Gold, Gold 3 or the Fred channel.

W has the potential to be more of a kind of "premium" channel, particularly now that ITV Encore has closed down, but they barely use it
UK
UKNewsHound
JAS84 posted:
Why does Drama air comedy? It's there in the name, it's shows should be in the drama genre.

I remember back in the UK Drama days (with the drums and glitter idents), You Rang M’Lord was part of the lineup. Aside from it being an hour long, it was as much a comedy as any other Perry & Croft production.

Back then, I don’t recall the programme airing anywhere else on the UKTV network, so it didn’t feel as much of a fudge as Last of the Summer Wine on Yesterday.
JK
JKDerry
JAS84 posted:
Why does Drama air comedy? It's there in the name, it's shows should be in the drama genre.

I remember back in the UK Drama days (with the drums and glitter idents), You Rang M’Lord was part of the lineup. Aside from it being an hour long, it was as much a comedy as any other Perry & Croft production.

Back then, I don’t recall the programme airing anywhere else on the UKTV network, so it didn’t feel as much of a fudge as Last of the Summer Wine on Yesterday.

Airing comedy on Drama is a way of showing off what sitcoms they have on their Gold channel which is a pay channel. Drama and Yesterday show sitcoms, to showcase what they have on Gold if people want to pay for the channel. Drama and Yesterday are free channels on Freeview and Freesat.
LS
Lou Scannon
If a channel has as genre-specific sounding a name as "Drama", then airing anything that doesn't fit that description is utterly ridiculous.

Might as well have a channel called "Soaps" that airs gameshows. Or a channel called "Cartoons" that airs real-life crime documentaries. Rolling Eyes
Rexogamer, JAS84 and UKNewsHound gave kudos
:-(
A former member
There was a strange period with cartoon network where it broadcast live action shows.
UK
UKNewsHound
JAS84 posted:

Airing comedy on Drama is a way of showing off what sitcoms they have on their Gold channel which is a pay channel. Drama and Yesterday show sitcoms, to showcase what they have on Gold if people want to pay for the channel. Drama and Yesterday are free channels on Freeview and Freesat.

Except UK Drama was as much of a pay channel as UK Gold back then.
NW
nwtv2003
JAS84 posted:

Towards the end of UKTV Drama’s life it’s daytime schedule was all comedy, where as UKTV Gold had comedy in the evening and more dramas during the daytime. The rebrands to Alibi and Gold pretty much put that to bed for a few years.

Drama is effectively the BBC equivalent of ITV3 and it was set up by UKTV for that reason.
WH
what
JAS84 posted:

Towards the end of UKTV Drama’s life it’s daytime schedule was all comedy, where as UKTV Gold had comedy in the evening and more dramas during the daytime. The rebrands to Alibi and Gold pretty much put that to bed for a few years.

Drama is effectively the BBC equivalent of ITV3 and it was set up by UKTV for that reason.

Plus they added comedy at lunchtime on UKTV Play for a while as well.
Rexogamer and nwtv2003 gave kudos
A former member
Does anyone know who made the 2016 Really rebrand presentation?
DB
dbl
Does anyone know who made the 2016 Really rebrand presentation?

UKTV Creative
A former member
Your a star, do you know when in march 2016 the new pres was used?

Newer posts