The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SC
scoobiesnack
I think the BBC really lacks in the evenings. Tonight for example - nobody in the UK cares about Outide Source.

There is a major incident at LGW and they’ve gone with OS?

Carole Walker is just sat around doing nothing.

Furious about the waste of money.

This makes no sense

Running OS saves money. That's the whole idea of putting BBC World programmes on BBC News. Instead of two teams they use one.
NG
noggin Founding member
I think the BBC really lacks in the evenings. Tonight for example - nobody in the UK cares about Outide Source.

There is a major incident at LGW and they’ve gone with OS?

Carole Walker is just sat around doing nothing.

Furious about the waste of money.

This makes no sense

Running OS saves money. That's the whole idea of putting BBC World programmes on BBC News. Instead of two teams they use one.

Precisely. A presenter isn't the only thing you need to make an hour of television 5 days a week.
CU
Custard56
I'm not sure if there's a thread for this kind of thing but there was a rather unfortunate subtitling howler on the BBC News Channel this afternoon when David Silitto's report on Sister Wendy Beckett opened with: 'Sister Windy Beckett, a man talking about art...'
ST
Stuart
I'm not sure if there's a thread for this kind of thing but there was a rather unfortunate subtitling howler on the BBC News Channel this afternoon when David Silitto's report on Sister Wendy Beckett opened with: 'Sister Windy Beckett, a man talking about art...'

I don't think there is a specific thread for such howlers. However, this similar 'punctuation fail' by Jonathan Charles, has always left me in stitches . . . Very Happy
Last edited by Stuart on 27 December 2018 6:42pm
BK
bkman1990
You gotta love Martine Croxall with her quotes on The Papers. "This is like front page lotto". Well one Martine; nicely put. Laughing
SS
SuperSajuuk
The 11.30pm version of the Papers had a technical issue in which Camera 4 just seemed to keep wanting to go back to the same position every single time (the one used when the Papers start), so the majority of the time, whenever Camera 4 was switched to, it was resetting itself for some reason. The AR graphics were also somewhat ahead at the start, as if the "Papers" had already been run through, which resulted in some nice quips from Martine about the issues in the broadcast.
RN
Rolling News
I love Martine Croxall with her quips. She's the only presenter on the channel who seems human. Certain other presenters (naming no names) make it look really stilted when technical issues like that one tonight occur, she just breezes through it with a very relaxed, natural sense of humour.
ST
South Today
I love Martine Croxall with her quips. She's the only presenter on the channel who seems human. Certain other presenters (naming no names) make it look really stilted when technical issues like that one tonight occur, she just breezes through it with a very relaxed, natural sense of humour.

Completely agree with you. I do enjoy Shaun on the weekends also though, especially his chirpy openings.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I love Martine Croxall with her quips. She's the only presenter on the channel who seems human

I'd put Simon McCoy in that category
WO
Worzel
I love Martine Croxall with her quips. She's the only presenter on the channel who seems human

I'd put Simon McCoy in that category

As well as Chris Eakin and Jon Sopel back in the day.
Ittr, Rolling News and News96 gave kudos
MO
Moz
So, how long before BBC News starts using BBC Reith? Website first then channel, or both together? They said it'd be early 2019 - it's now early 2019! Hurry up!
VM
VMPhil
Moz posted:
So, how long before BBC News starts using BBC Reith? Website first then channel, or both together? They said it'd be early 2019 - it's now early 2019! Hurry up!

What's the rush?

Newer posts