TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas 2018

1st December. Split from Christmas Idents 2018 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Once the content concluded, the credits as broadcast on Christmas Day, as on the iPlayer, only record two producers and a director, before the inserted obit slate and the copyright board. This is very unusual to say the least and to me suggests further editing beyond that of the obit insertion.
NG
noggin Founding member
How does inserting an obit caption onto the end of shows work? Was watching the Christmas Lunch episode of the Vicar of Dibley on iPlayer a few days ago and I noticed an obit slide for John Bluthal (who played Frank) at the end, which caught my eye as I'd missed news of his passing in November.

It was dropped in before the original copyright notice from 1996, and was quite neatly done with the end of theme tune (which would have played out over the copyright slide originally) playing out over it. I seem to remember the same thing happening when they replayed an episode upon Emma Chambers' death.

Is this something that the BBC has to go back to TigerAspect to do, or something that the Presentation team do themselves?

My guess is neither. I expect that BBC Studioworks (or possibly BBC Creative) edited the version of the programme in the BBC library to add the obituary card. All BBC acquired shows go through a BBC Studioworks edit suite I believe, so there are suites designed to handle programme delivery.

It wouldn't be something I'd expect the Red Bee Playout team to do, nor would I expect the BBC to commission Tiger Aspect to reversion the programme.
CR
Critique
Once the content concluded, the credits as broadcast on Christmas Day, as on the iPlayer, only record two producers and a director, before the inserted obit slate and the copyright board. This is very unusual to say the least and to me suggests further editing beyond that of the obit insertion.

Ah, that's because each episode of the Vicar of Dibley ends with a joke after the main end credits and before the copyright slide (except one episode which starts with the joke due to the tone of the end of the programme). After the joke you then get the producer/director credits, as you've observed, with the joke creating a huge gap between the main credits and the final few though.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Thanks for that comprehensive explanation. Never could stand the programme so my knowledge of this skit technique was nil.

Newer posts