Media Websites

Article 13 - The End Of Archiving TV Presentation?

(December 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
UT
Upload TV
I’ve decided to make a topic on Article 13, although not yet finalised, if passed this could mean the end of capturing news clips or tv presentation and uploading them to YouTube, Daily Motion, Vimeo or even sharing screen grabs here on TV Fourm. If anyone uploads clips to YouTube that may fall under fair use YouTube can keep track of that and not take it down on copyright grounds. However, with the introduction of Article 13 YouTube and not the creators are liable for copyright content on their service meaning they’ll no longer give warning but be stricter on rules and even take down channels straight away. Even if it’s fair use there bots won’t be able to tell. This will without doubt be the end of my channel and so many others that share TV presentation. If you upload to Vimeo, they will also have bots that won’t be able to tell if it’s fair use or copyrighted material and Daily Motion would have to put copyright plans in place aswell as websites that upload news clips, tv presentation clips or screen grabs.
ToasterMan, Conor98 and London Lite gave kudos
:-(
A former member
The way things are heading will this actually affect us?
UT
Upload TV
The way things are heading will this actually affect us?

Yes, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo etc tend to follow EU rules worldwide and even if for some reason they don’t videos and websites will be hidden inside of EU countries.
Rexogamer and London Lite gave kudos
DB
dbl
Indeed, bye bye memes, bye bye finding gem clips on the internet. Unless Article 13 is tweaked to something more realistic, then it would take the 'colour' out of the internet and kill YouTube as we know it.
VM
VMPhil
Quite frankly I find it disturbing how Google/YouTube have mobilised their audience and gotten them to believe so deeply in their propaganda without even considering opposing viewpoints and why Google/YouTube would want to push so much against this legislation.
CO
Conor98
I just hope it doesn't go ahead as planned if the EU actually bothers to listen to us and to prevent the potential death of the Internet as we know it...
DE
DE88
dbl posted:
Indeed, bye bye memes, bye bye finding gem clips on the internet. Unless Article 13 is tweaked to something more realistic, then it would take the 'colour' out of the internet and kill YouTube as we know it.

I know this contains an audio sample from another video, but...

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
YouTube using YouTube to save YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/saveyourinternet/

Complete with throwaway Brexit remark on the bottom of the FAQ which seems to suggest we may have to implement the directive anyway (since it will probably have been ratified by March and we're effectively taking a snapshot of EU legislation at that point in time to effectively avoid Armageddon in a legal status).

The so-called "cookie" law was badly managed and implemented, leading to large waves of ugly banners about "click here to allow cookies" every time we go to a new website. The principle was sound but the implementation of it wasn't. So I would not be surprised if Article 13 and everything else in the directive is badly implemented as well.
Ittr and AlexEdohHD13 gave kudos
JM
JamesM0984
We can only hope this gets delayed until after March 29.
HC
Hatton Cross
Which March 29th?
Because nothing in legislation will change, that you'll notice after March 29th 2019.

Given the fevered copyright protection landgrabs by artists/publishers/broadcasters, you'll bet everything that this is the first law by the newly 'free' UK Parliament they would love to see being passed.
JA
JAS84
Because that's Brexit day. After that, we won't automatically be taking on any of the EU's new laws, and can freely change existing ones. Which means if they pass a similar law to this anyway, it'll be the fault of our elected representatives, not the unelected guys from Brussels. And they'll feel the wrath of the electorate!
BA
bilky asko
Quite frankly I find it disturbing how Google/YouTube have mobilised their audience and gotten them to believe so deeply in their propaganda without even considering opposing viewpoints and why Google/YouTube would want to push so much against this legislation.

What do you think is the case for the directive?

Newer posts