« Topics
what129 posts since 11 Mar 2018
HTV West Points West
Reith does not contain many language glyphs right now, so I imagine other fonts will be sourced. But the Beeb could commission Reith variants in Arabic, Hirigana/Katakana, Korean, Kanji etc

it’s not necessary. they can still use the already made Helvetica glyphs in these languages. they shouldn’t be putting effort in where it arguably isn’t needed.
dosxuk4,075 posts since 22 Oct 2005
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Reith does not contain many language glyphs right now, so I imagine other fonts will be sourced. But the Beeb could commission Reith variants in Arabic, Hirigana/Katakana, Korean, Kanji etc

it’s not necessary. they can still use the already made Helvetica glyphs in these languages. they shouldn’t be putting effort in where it arguably isn’t needed.

But the entire point of Reith is for a typeface that they own outright and don't need to pay royalties to use.
mdtauk6,134 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London

But the entire point of Reith is for a typeface that they own outright and don't need to pay royalties to use.

Making internationalised fonts is also very expensive, and for these niche uses, using a pre-made font may make more sense
what gave kudos
joshroys8 posts since 18 Apr 2018
Yorkshire
Getting some Good Morning Britain vibes with the swipes and center-aligned strap. It does look a lot better than what the BBC have now, though. Keep it up!
Last edited by joshroys on 18 January 2019 8:03pm
lukeshep gave kudos
Whataday9,252 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
It's definitely an evolution of what we've got now, and very nice. If I could make one criticism it would be that the BBC and News look slightly too disconnected to me, considering the brand is BBC News (rather than News from the BBC).