The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 2018 Refresh

(June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Silly decision to end Breakfast at 7:50am on BBC One on a normal weekday for many for a Match of the Day repeat.

I’m sure they did it on the 2nd January one year which is definitely a normal working day
DV
dvboy
Silly decision to end Breakfast at 7:50am on BBC One on a normal weekday for many for a Match of the Day repeat.

I’m sure they did it on the 2nd January one year which is definitely a normal working day

Not if it's a Monday as it would have been in in 2016.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It obviously wasn’t 2016 then.
LS
Lou Scannon

It is not a normal weekday.

I work in the kind of "9 to 5" office job where only "normal weekdays" are working days (i.e. not bank holidays etc).

Today was a work day for me. Therefore it is a "normal weekday". Ditto for tomorrow and Monday.
AR
Argybargy
I remember in the late 80s, on the weekdays between Christmas and New Year, BBC One did not show a full edition of Breakfast Time, rather they used to show 15-minute bulletins at 7am and 8am, with children's programmes airing in between.

As for the current situation, I've never understood why anyone would want to see a 3-hour edition of Breakfast on Christmas Day. Why not instead show a couple of movies or maybe even Christmas episodes of classic comedies on BBC One on Christmas morning. Anyone who DOES want to see news can surely just watch the BBC News Channel?

Having said all that, I know exactly why BBC One still shows Breakfast on Christmas morning. Because it's cheaper than showing films or comedy repeats.
LL
London Lite Founding member
The 'normal' weekdays between Christmas and New Year have always been different. Public transport runs a Saturday timetable, most white collar workers are off work until January 2nd (with some extended until Jan 7th), children are off school and that is reflected in television schedules where news bulletins are shorter and today's Breakfast was cut for Boxing Day's Match of the Day.

Any real resemblance of normality will return a week on Monday as it'll still be quiet out there, except for retail areas.
itsrobert, Brekkie and chinamug gave kudos
BM
BM11
I think quite a few people are up as kids tend to wake early on Christmas morning. Not that all are glued to Breakfast but it will still have a large chunk dipping in.

And others will have been up early to start cooking, prepare for traveling or to go to church.
NYD probably as fair few less up at 8am than Christmas day.
PE
peterh
Breakfast on Christmas Day is part of news channel (on bbc one) not bbc one - bbc one technically started at 9 am
JW
JamesWorldNews

It is not a normal weekday.

I work in the kind of "9 to 5" office job where only "normal weekdays" are working days (i.e. not bank holidays etc).

Today was a work day for me. Therefore it is a "normal weekday". Ditto for tomorrow and Monday.

Loving the new user name. That is all. Move along. Move along. X
ST
Stuart
The regional bulletins have returned to Breakfast this morning. Today must be classed as more of a 'normal' weekday than yesterday.
RK
Rkolsen
Breakfast on Christmas Day is part of news channel (on bbc one) not bbc one - bbc one technically started at 9 am

How is it any different than a normal day? Isn’t it produced by the news department?
DV
DVB Cornwall
Technicality when BBC ONE closes the channel output is managed by and takes as filler the BBC News Channel until 0600 daily, On Christmas Day, although Breakfast is still run it's managed by the News Channel and effectively used by BBC ONE as filler until the start of other programming.

Newer posts