The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 2018 Refresh

(June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
JAS84 posted:
Yeah, what the heck? Shouldn't that MOTD repeat be on BBC Two?

The regular repeat is on BBC One on a Sunday, I posted a while back that there used to be some rule that it had to be off air by something like 9am which why it often went out at like 7:30 in the morning. That's changed and now the cut off is something like 11:30.
JO
Joe
Am I the only one thinking these new titles refreshes this year are absolute ****? Require no real effort to recreate or make and lack any type of creativity. Takes simple to a whole new level.

Totally agree, though I may not have used the same language as I think about those responsible for producing it! But yes, I find it much poorer than what went before – and I would much rather see the nice warm oranges etc of previous graphics than the bleak morning shots used now.
NG
noggin Founding member
JAS84 posted:
Yeah, what the heck? Shouldn't that MOTD repeat be on BBC Two?

MOTD is usually repeated on BBC One, and rates pretty highly there. The Sunday morning repeat used to have to be off-air by 0900, but the new deal means the BBC now have until 1030 to finish showing their highlights. (This is one reason why The Andrew Marr Show moved from 0900 to 1000 on Sundays)
AR
Argybargy
Silly decision to end Breakfast at 7:50am on BBC One on a normal weekday for many for a Match of the Day repeat.

This isn't a new thing, though. The Boxing Day MOTD has always been repeated the following morning on BBC One. And for those who still wanted to watch Breakfast, all they had to do was switch over to the BBC News channel.
CU
Custard56
I seem to remember James Mobbs saying the rationale for the stings rather than a title sequence per se was to make the top of the hour sequences on Breakfast "punchier".

But the irony is that Breakfast's TOTH sequences were never an issue in that respect, even with the former disco ball titles - it always was quite swift and punchy anyway, the way they breeze through the main points of news, sport, business and weather.

It's the opening sequences to the other main BBC One bulletins throughout the day that desperately need pruning back in terms of the level of detail that they pack into each headline. Up to 2-3 minutes before the titles are over is the very opposite of punchy.
VM
VMPhil

It's the opening sequences to the other main BBC One bulletins throughout the day that desperately need pruning back in terms of the level of detail that they pack into each headline. Up to 2-3 minutes before the titles are over is the very opposite of punchy.

I completely agree. Though it does mean you can just watch the headlines and then turn over without having to watch the full bulletin! Very Happy
Stuart and Custard56 gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
Silly decision to end Breakfast at 7:50am on BBC One on a normal weekday for many for a Match of the Day repeat.

This isn't a new thing, though. The Boxing Day MOTD has always been repeated the following morning on BBC One. And for those who still wanted to watch Breakfast, all they had to do was switch over to the BBC News channel.

Where it was signed until 8.18.
MO
Moz
Am I the only one thinking these new titles refreshes this year are absolute ****? Require no real effort to recreate or make and lack any type of creativity. Takes simple to a whole new level.

Yes. You’re the only one.
JO
Joe
Moz posted:

?
CH
chris
Moz posted:

Odd response.

They’re nicely produced but they are a bit dull. Agree it would have been nicer to see a decent set of titles and set amendments.
BR
Brekkie

It is not a normal weekday.
WH
Whataday Founding member

It is not a normal weekday.

It is a normal weekday.
Lou Scannon and dvboy gave kudos

Newer posts