TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas 2018

1st December. Split from Christmas Idents 2018 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I dare say as long as Lord Sugar gets his due for "hosting" (if that's the right term for such a programme) then it makes no difference to him whether it goes out at 9pm, 11am or four in the morning. He'll just have to hold onto the secret and try not to do a Prue Leith. It's known The Apprentice is recorded months in advance with two endings for the final two and the chosen one is just added on the day before.

To be honest there's nothing really that interests me either about Christmas this year programme wise or even presentation wise. I tend to watch the David Walliams adaptions (last year's Grandpa's Great Escape was quite good) but anything else I can take or leave it.
MR
mr_vivian
I heard a BBC One Christmas promo on Radio 2 this morning and the music sounds beautiful.

The only thing they got right this year was the music on the ident. But, it sounds much better as an instrumental piece than a miserable voice singing over it.

8 days later

AN
Andrew Founding member
I notice we didn’t get one of the stalwarts doing the BBC One announcing duties today, so didn’t have any extra bits of fun that we sometimes have.
CA
Caly123
Continiuity mistake before The Madagascar Penguins in A Christmas Caper as the CA cannot pronounce Madagascar properly.
RO
rob Founding member
Continiuity mistake before The Madagascar Penguins in A Christmas Caper as the CA cannot pronounce Madagascar properly

Nor can I when I've had a few beers...
MA
Markymark
rob posted:
Continiuity mistake before The Madagascar Penguins in A Christmas Caper as the CA cannot pronounce Madagascar properly

Nor can I when I've had a few beers...

Sounded to me as if she stuttered saying it. Either that or there was a routing change while she was speaking. Happens every night in this region during the BBC 10pm News when BBC South 'soft opt' in preparation for the local news.
CA
Caly123
I've also found an mistake from the East output of night news vista ident before the news a couple of days ago in which you hear another CA for a breif second before the main CA.
WI
Wicko
The question is do we really need a BBC Christmas film anyway? We never used to. A simple presentation package with decent traditional idents and good trailers is all we need and require from BBC One. Not an attempt to try bring us a two minute John Lewis advert.

BBC One should consider going back to their roots. I remember the very simple 1999 BBC One Christmas ident, Santa Claus appearing in the night sky ringing a bell. Here is a clip of how it looked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIIDP0SfXk

Simple and perfect. The BBC could have a few variants, maybe a few Christmas figures such as a snowman, reindeer etc. Not hard, but perfect for Christmas, wouldn't some agree?

Like this? I have always loved the 1987 package. It was simple but festive and just said "Christmas on BBC1" not use Wonderland as a theme but not actually use a wonderland at all. I have never been on dodgems on Christmas day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHQ86YANe4
WH
Whataday Founding member
The start of that 1987 promo puts me in mind of this:

Which incidentally was a wonderful HTV package that ran for a good few years.
CR
Critique
How does inserting an obit caption onto the end of shows work? Was watching the Christmas Lunch episode of the Vicar of Dibley on iPlayer a few days ago and I noticed an obit slide for John Bluthal (who played Frank) at the end, which caught my eye as I'd missed news of his passing in November.

It was dropped in before the original copyright notice from 1996, and was quite neatly done with the end of theme tune (which would have played out over the copyright slide originally) playing out over it. I seem to remember the same thing happening when they replayed an episode upon Emma Chambers' death.

Is this something that the BBC has to go back to TigerAspect to do, or something that the Presentation team do themselves?
DV
DVB Cornwall
I'd suggest that the BBC library before placing on the playout server did this. The real weird thing about the credits for this programme after just viewing, suggests more radical surgery has been performed on them though, the credits as broadcast on Christmas Day only acknowledging three individuals in two roles which is most unusual.
WH
Whataday Founding member
the credits as broadcast on Christmas Day only acknowledging three individuals in two roles which is most unusual.

Can't make sense of that, can you explain?

Newer posts