Media Websites

TV Forum

(October 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Stuart
I am rather surprised that TVF has not yet launched its Christmas branding. I was rather hoping for a BBC One-eque Christmas tree, with presents underneath - one labelled as the 'TVS Archive'. Laughing

17 days later

JO
Josh
Every now and then, I see the "Latest Site Videos" link to this thread and just this thread alone which dates back to 2015: https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post974697#post-974697

Is there a reason for this happening?
JO
Joe
I find the mobile experience to be good generally, but it could be better. I find certain buttons don’t seem to want to respond – especially the next page button. I find I often have to zoom right in to get it to recognise my press. I also wonder if the header could be sticky, to enable navigating to the forum page and homepage to be quicker.
LT
LTSC1980
TV Forum listed This is Five as updated but I didn’t found anything updated.
AB
ashley b Founding member
I can confirm nothing has been updated on this is five for a good long while.
GO
gottago
For some reason I can't access TV Forum on my home WiFi (Hyperoptic), works fine on my phone with WiFi switched off. No other site is affected. Any ideas how I fix it?
NG
noggin Founding member
For some reason I can't access TV Forum on my home WiFi (Hyperoptic), works fine on my phone with WiFi switched off. No other site is affected. Any ideas how I fix it?

What DNS are you using? If you switch to Google's DNS does that fix it?
GO
gottago

Do you mean browser? It doesn't work in Safari or Chrome.
NG
noggin Founding member

Do you mean browser? It doesn't work in Safari or Chrome.

No - I mean what DNS are you using (Domain Name Server). It's the bit of the internet you use to convert domain names to IP addresses - without it you can't access any internet addresses by name. If the DNS you are currently using doesn't properly resolve www.tvforum.co.uk then another one might.

By default most people use their ISPs DNS (via their router acting as a gateway) - but you can override this to use a third party DNS. Google's is popular. (Lots of people on BT Internet ditched BT's DNS years ago as it slowed browsing down so much)

How you change it depends on your OS. Google is your friend.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Some routers you can feed them custom DNS servers and then any device that connects to them will use those settings, otherwise you'd need to change them on a device-by-device basis.

Google provides a DNS service (as above, considering it provides everything else these days Smile) but the alternatives are OpenDNS and Level 3. List here:
https://whatsabyte.com/internet/best-public-dns-servers/

A DNS server to put it very simply is a conversion process to make the internet human friendly. Without it instead of going to google.co.uk we'd have to go to 216.58.206.131 instead. So basically if you can't get on www.tvforum.co.uk from one connection that means your provider has an out of date entry for the website so it's looking in the wrong place. These issues usually resolve themselves within 24hrs.
OR
orange
That 2018 was brought to you by... credits sequence was bloody amazing, such a sweet idea. Thank you!
JA
JAS84
They do that every year.

Newer posts