The Newsroom

The Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Thread

(August 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TR
TROGGLES
He usually has Christmas off, or should I say we usually have the Christmas off from him Wink

8 days later

RE
Revitt
Look Leeds opted out early during the ten headlines tonight. Don't think I've ever seen that happen before, seen them opt back in late on many occasions though!
EL
elmarko
A mistake or intentional?
AG
AxG
Look North Leeds has Christmas titles.
LS
Lou Scannon
I know nothing about dog breeds, but I'm guessing that the dog in the titles might be a Yorkshire Terrier for obvious reasons?

8 days later

JT
jolly turnip
Was wondering if we might have had a combined Look North tonight with the Hull studios being evacuated earlier due to a suspected gas leak. At one point Radio Humbersider decamped to Lincoln. But early enough in the afternoon to allow Look North from Hull as usual.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Sounds like they were either back on air at 2.30 from Hull or got their football OB to air via a different route - which should be easy these days with ViLoR
IS
Inspector Sands
Sounds like they were either back on air at 2.30 from Hull or got their football OB to air via a different route - which should be easy these days with ViLoR

Probably fairly easy in the old days too, each station has another station to decamp to in an emergency, just a case of getting the ISDN for the OB to dial into that one instead
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Although if the buddy station is already doing split frequency sport coverage they may not have a spare studio available to become Humberside? With ViLoR I guess they have more options
IS
Inspector Sands
I'm not sure how split sport works, I think sometimes they do one via a studio and then they put the opt out to air directly. Certainly theres been cases where coverage has finished or dropped off air and there's been silence as there's no studio to pick up from it
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think it can be done either way. I've certainly heard of it being done in MK3 days where the presenter throws to the opt out commentator, who does a 30 second preview of the match on all frequencies during which a BA plugs the ISDN direct to the AM feed, the commentator leaves a pause for FM to leave and continues on AM only.

Nowadays there is often split build up involving packages/interview clips being played in, so it's more likely to require a studio per output. In the old days, a studio was probably required to clip up the goal highlights anyway.

If nothing else keeping it separate makes the clean feeds easier!
WL
W1LL
New face doing the weather tonight, Gillian Brown. I presume the standard Leeds weather hub arrangement doesn’t operate fully over the Christmas period, as usually it’s the only time of the year we end up seeing Paul Mooney pop up.

Newer posts