The Gallery

BBC News: Reith Style

Refreshing the news (December 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Stuart
Amazing mocks, as always, Bail. Laughing

I like something about the straps and that 'separator bar'; it just seems to flow nicely for me with the additional levels of text. I also like the idea of 16:9 safe . . . it's time BBC News grew up!

The mock of the title sequence confuses me somewhat (this may be due to festive wine).

It seems to be an amalgamation of the orange countdown clock, the 'black era', and the 'white era' all mixed together without anything for me to focus on, as so much is going on without any definitive area.

My one problem with the current 'white era' has always been the jump in perspectives of the globe within such a short title sequence.

Although you have addressed that with the static positioning of the globe, it doesn't seem to rotate fast enough to be obvious within 5-8 seconds, and the rings seem to become 'disconnected' to a point of irrelevance because there are two different sets, the first lot heading 'off axis'.

I hope that all made sense. Laughing Laughing
Last edited by Stuart on 21 December 2018 11:17pm
CH
chris
I agree with Moz on the logo - something just not quite right about it being in two separate boxes. And don’t forget on social media it really has to stack, so there’s not a great deal of choice in that sense.

But broadly looks great and of course miles better than most on this forum. Looking forward to seeing the titles.
RD
RDJ
I really don't like the logo. But everything else is good.

I'll reserve judgement and voting until the next revision.
Last edited by RDJ on 22 December 2018 10:01am
BR
Brekkie
Good stuff Bail. I think this is probably enough of the revamp to satisfy people like me who have long been calling for BBC News to have a complete refresh but also hold on to enough to keep those happy who seen no issue with the current 10 (arguably 20) year old graphics.
MD
mdtauk
Impressive as ever Bail, I agree with some about it being not too dissimilar to the current look, but that is believable going by the BBC's record on evolving the BBC News branding.

This is what I am expecting, at least from the logos - but I would hope for some nice use of BBC Reith Serif on-screen with more interesting typography, as well as slightly larger typefaces.

But the design as presented is certainly rich and detailed - as well as containing elements from the original 1999 look like those rings, and the digits counting up.
AL
AaronLancs
Impressive as ever Bail, I agree with some about it being not too dissimilar to the current look, but that is believable going by the BBC's record on evolving the BBC News branding.

This is what I am expecting, at least from the logos - but I would hope for some nice use of BBC Reith Serif on-screen with more interesting typography, as well as slightly larger typefaces.

But the design as presented is certainly rich and detailed - as well as containing elements from the original 1999 look like those rings, and the digits counting up.

The Periodic Table of BBC News.
:-(
A former member

Thank you for visualising for us exactly where the BBC currently spends far too much money.
CH
chris

Thank you for visualising for us exactly where the BBC currently spends far too much money.

On creating logos?
MD
mdtauk
For what it is worth, BBC News took on the funding of the global news services from the World Service I believe, so saving a lot of money by using the same branding, titles, graphics and colours for all the global language output.
:-(
A former member
I’m not referring to the branding, I’m referring to the fact that all these services exist.
CH
chris
I’m not referring to the branding, I’m referring to the fact that all these services exist.

These language services are one of the best parts of Britain’s foreign policy in my opinion, but that’s a debate for a different forum.
BR
Brekkie
The BBC should be completely independent of the government's foreign policy.

Bringing it vaguely back on topic though would Reith have variants for the non-English alphabets.

Newer posts