TV Home Forum

The Secret Story of the BBC Christmas Tapes

Sunday 23rd December - BBC Four (December 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Some of the other gems have gone missing.

Last edited by A former member on 10 December 2018 9:51am
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The only real difference is they seem to have lasted longer from the ITV companies, the 'Bullseye adapted for Channel 4' skit dates from 1983

Was that Bullseye skit recorded like that? I've seen comments saying it was longer. The clip that keeps popping up on YouTube looks like it has been cut down.

It was presented that way in the original video (hence the end of part caption, which references its position in the tape).

I wonder if it was deliberate to present the Bullseye skit in the way it was, after all the voiceover said it was "adapted for Channel 4" and so as a mockumentary drive the entire thing downhill in terms of presentation and production compared to the regular programme. I suspect it worked on more than one level.

Rainbow Twangers was IIRC presented as the pilot for Rainbow, but of course what everybody would have forgotten at the time was that Geoffrey Hayes wasn't with the programme from the off, he was a replacement for whoever the original chap was.
JA
james-2001
There was a much scarier Bungle originally too.
NJ
There was a much scarier Bungle originally too.

Again I suspect 'scary' because of the more friendly looking Bungle that appeared later (even if he did wander around naked all day and wore pyjamas for bed). In hindsight the original Bungle looked like he's on something. Not sure what was more corrupting really, a bear with wide eyes and a scary complexion or a hairy bear with no clothes on. Wink

9 days later

NL
Ne1L C
Looking forward to it.
AL
AidanLunn
I'm sorry, but when I read that description, all I could hear was the sound of the wood at the bottom of a barrel being scraped!
DE
deejay
Rather enjoyed that. And it simply had to end the way it did!
NJ
Think it might have been better as an hour rather than half an hour, personally.
CO
Colm
A great documentary which made the best of the constrictions of the half-hour slot. Like the Christmas tapes, certainly produced by real TV enthusiasts.

Good to see the clips weren't censored either for the time slot, and also a nice acknowledgement of the same tapes produced by the ITV companies.
DE
deejay
Think it might have been better as an hour rather than half an hour, personally.

Always leave em wanting more Very Happy
Stuart, Night Thoughts and Colm gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Col posted:
Good to see the clips weren't censored either for the time slot, and also a nice acknowledgement of the same tapes produced by the ITV companies.

Is my hearing going or did they redo the Kenny Everett spoof continuity announcement from Good King Memorex with somebody else?
Larry the Loafer and VMPhil gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
Col posted:

Is my hearing going or did they redo the Kenny Everett spoof continuity announcement from Good King Memorex with somebody else?

I thought that sounded a bit off too.

Newer posts