TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BH
BillyH Founding member
In an episode I watched recently (it was the brown set so I'm assuming that was late 80's?) one of the contestants gave the answer of "Jimmy Saville" to Name a popular Irish entertainer. Surprised it wasn't cut, though it was quickly moved on from. I imagine if Les did an impression or made a joke that would have been cut.

It was "Name a famous Jimmy" and from memory Les did a comedy impression of all of them (Cricket, Greaves etc). The edit was respectfully done I think, keeping the mention but removing the comedy around it.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, the only other solution would've been to omit the entire round (after all, Savile's name would be on the screen from the point the answer is given until that round is over)... and at that point the episode might as well be banned. They did all they could without resorting to skipping the episode. One of the team's scores would go up without explanation and the show runtime would be too short, so just skipping the round wasn't an option.
JM
JamesM0984
Treasure Hunt was shown again a couple of years back, but they showed Series 1 which was just awful (the sound mix was basically inaudible) and Series 2 which was OK but still a bit pants. It was only in the third series it got really good.
DV
dvboy
All of these classic shows used to air on Challenge...

Adventure Game
Interceptor
Strike It Lucky/Rich
All Clued Up
Crosswits
Give us a Clue
Win, Lose or Draw
Wipeout (both the Paul Daniels and Bob Monkhouse eras)
Celebrity Squares
You Bet!
Blockbusters
Gladiators
Bob's Full House
Krypton Factor
Countdown
100%
Whittle

They even had a time when they aired Aunties Bloomers of all things!

Sadly, I don't think Challenge will ever screen half of these again, even though they did have the rights to them.

I'd love to see Challenge go back to its 90s roots and bring back Prize Time etc, but I think those days are long gone (I always wanted a Challenge TV phone - remember those?).

Strike it Lucky/Rich is back on in January I seem to remember spotting it on Digiguide the other day.
JO
Jon
It was on yesterday.
BH
BillyH Founding member
Just saw a Family Fortunes from 1990, where for a few seconds the picture took a drastic drop into blurry VHS quality near the end. Possibly a fault on the tape that was repaired using an offair/backup recording?
PF
PFML84
In an episode I watched recently (it was the brown set so I'm assuming that was late 80's?) one of the contestants gave the answer of "Jimmy Saville" to Name a popular Irish entertainer. Surprised it wasn't cut, though it was quickly moved on from. I imagine if Les did an impression or made a joke that would have been cut.

It was "Name a famous Jimmy" and from memory Les did a comedy impression of all of them (Cricket, Greaves etc). The edit was respectfully done I think, keeping the mention but removing the comedy around it.

No, the question was definitely "Name an Irish entertainer" No-one got the top answer, which was Terry Wogan.
:-(
A former member
Its nearly as bad as " name a bird with a long neck"

12 days later

VM
VMPhil
Suggestions being taken over Twitter for new programming in 2019:

JB
JasonB
Suggestions being taken over Twitter for new programming in 2019:

And on the Facebook page too. Loads of people saying "Less of the Chase" on both pages.
Juicy Joe, DE88 and james-2001 gave kudos
JA
JAS84
And "Less of Pointless". They're right, they're always on ITV and BBC One respectively anyway.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I'm sure they asked the same question last year and all it resulted in was another series or two of Chase and Pointless, followed months later by the purchase of Ronnie Corbett's Small Talk and the most recent Robot Wars series. Small Talk was previously shown in 2008 according to Wiki so it certainly isn't 'new' to the channel.

I'm surprised they don't make more use of the Sky catalogue, considering they probably don't have to pay too much more for it than when it was originally made (Blockbusters being the exception of course being made by Central for Sky in 1994 so they probably had to go back to ITV for that). Duck Quacks Don't Echo could be a better choice for Challenge or the copious gameshows they used to air.

Newer posts