TV Home Forum

Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Spiceweasel
The trouble is that is the reality of making television - you need numerous people to make even a fairly bog-standard production.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a few people, and 'a lot' of people. Without giving too much away about myself, I've worked in a number of newsrooms (both TV and radio), and for the amount of content produced, there seemed to be a large number of people.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Yeah, but there's a difference between a few people, and 'a lot' of people.

Neither are defined so are pretty useless when talking about a workforce.

Without giving too much away about myself, I've worked in a number of newsrooms (both TV and radio), and for the amount of content produced, there seemed to be a large number of people.

I have some experience of TV, radio and press newsrooms and literally know of no one in the last ten years that has ever said "you know what this place could do with? a few less people".
SP
Spiceweasel
I have some experience of TV, radio and press newsrooms and literally know of no one in the last ten years that has ever said "you know what this place could do with? a few less people".

Really? Have you never met management? That's the sort of thing that's said all the time. Every newsroom I've worked in over the last 20 years has only gotten smaller and smaller.

Nobody would say that about their own newsroom, but I recall a BECTU rep saying once in a meeting that a certain local newspaper newsroom had 'plenty of fat to trim' when it came to cutting costs, much to the annoyance of the NUJ rep that was there as well....
Last edited by Spiceweasel on 8 December 2018 9:37am - 4 times in total
Night Thoughts and Joe gave kudos

8 days later

:-(
A former member
That's TV have now updated their website and added the Scottish services, branded as follows:

That's TV Scotland North [Aberdeen]
That's TV Scotland East [Dundee]
That's TV Scotland West [Ayr]
That's TV Scotland Central [Glasgow]
That's TV Scotland Headline [Edinburgh]

They've also added That's TV Humber.

With these additions, unless there is consolidation with 'Local TV' or the remaining independents, That's TV's network is complete.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Looking at the various local websites, That's Scotland all comes from Glasgow. I'd suspect they use the same presenter for all of the different bulletins.

That's Oxfordshire has moved from Whitney to Reading. That's Thames Valley has moved into the the Broad Street Mall in Reading, with That's Oxon.

That's Surrey has moved in with That's Hampshire in Basingstoke.
Last edited by London Lite on 16 December 2018 2:59am
BE
benriggers
That's Oxfordshire has moved from Whitney to Reading.

As a resident of "Whitney", there's no 'h' in it (Witney) Wink
MA
Markymark

Into my old Sixth Form College !
SP
Spencer
That's Oxfordshire has moved from Whitney to Reading.

As a resident of "Whitney", there's no 'h' in it (Witney) Wink

Spelling it like that is not right, but it’s okay.
RO
rob Founding member

Mine too! Wink
MA
Markymark
rob posted:

Mine too! Wink

We're in good company Rob, also Alex Thomson (C4 News) Liz Hurley, and Tanita Tikaram !

24 days later

SC
scarbados
Just watching That's North Yorkshire, which is supposed to be local tv for Scarborough, and so far it's been news packages form York and two from Hull. Hoe do they get away with it?
BR
Brekkie
Just watching That's North Yorkshire, which is supposed to be local tv for Scarborough, and so far it's been news packages form York and two from Hull. Hoe do they get away with it?

Probably because nobody actually watches them so nobody finds out.
Spencer, London Lite and Lou Scannon gave kudos

Newer posts