TV Home Forum

What happened to Night Time TV?

(December 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JM
JamesM0984
Friday night, 1:30-2am, I've come in from a late shift and there's, being blunt, very little in the way of content on TV. News Channel, gambling, signed repeats... not a lot of original stuff. You used to be able to find some real gems at night - edgy stuff, foreign imports, maybe a movie, stuff that was a bit offbeat... now though, there seems little to be said for night time TV.

It's a far cry from even a few years ago. I'm not expecting the BBC to cater for late-night viewing because they barely have the budget to keep BBC Two on-air during the daytime, but there must be an audience out there for this sort of stuff? That didn't suddenly appear in the late 80s and then drift away surely?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Satellite and cable TV took the majority of the stuff that would have aired overnight, the foreign imports and the obscure movies (see TalkingPictures, the True channels and what is now Christmas24 for all that).

Roulette seems to be the in-thing at the moment. Years ago there was the "Quiz TV" stuff but that genre strangled itself with the fall out that followed around TV competitions generally.

It could have been so different as discussed here, though the end result as we now know it may have been the same anyway:
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/itv-night-time-franchise-1980s-41990/
DB
dbl
Additionally, services like Netflix have an abundant library of premium content that viewers can choose - so you don't necessarily have to watch low brow content to wind down to.
MA
Markymark
dbl posted:
Additionally, services like Netflix have an abundant library of premium content that viewers can choose - so you don't necessarily have to watch low brow content to wind down to.

Indeed, and what’s wrong with using iplayer etc to watch stuff, and/or PVR recordings ? Mrs Markymark who suffers from bouts of insomnia currently goes downstairs and watches Mad Men on Netflix in the middle of the night
:-(
A former member
Two other useful thread:

https://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/itv-night-time-news-recorded-live-42631/

I asked the same question nine years ago....
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/went-wrong-night-time-29774/
VM
VMPhil
Friday night, 1:30-2am, I've come in from a late shift and there's, being blunt, very little in the way of content on TV. News Channel, gambling, signed repeats... not a lot of original stuff. You used to be able to find some real gems at night - edgy stuff, foreign imports, maybe a movie, stuff that was a bit offbeat... now though, there seems little to be said for night time TV.

It's a far cry from even a few years ago. I'm not expecting the BBC to cater for late-night viewing because they barely have the budget to keep BBC Two on-air during the daytime, but there must be an audience out there for this sort of stuff? That didn't suddenly appear in the late 80s and then drift away surely?

Multi channel TV has kind of done away with the need for the BBC or ITV to provide comprehensive night time programming. I have zero interest in signing up to or using Netflix, Amazon etc., I usually find something good to watch if I find myself in the position to watch TV in the early hours.
MR
mr_vivian
I'm in bed for 9 usually. There's nothing to miss. It's the same cycle of programmes every single season. Predictable.
FO
FanOfTV99
Sadly, Night Time TV is made up of Jackpot247 , Jeremy Kyle and Nightscreen.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Sadly, Night Time TV is made up of Jackpot247 , Jeremy Kyle and Nightscreen.

Other channels / services are available.
bilky asko, DE88 and VMPhil gave kudos
JM
JamesM0984
Signed repeats and news. And even I'm way too overdosed on Brexit now to give a toss.
BR
Brekkie
dbl posted:

Indeed, and what’s wrong with using iplayer etc to watch stuff, and/or PVR recordings ? Mrs Markymark who suffers from bouts of insomnia currently goes downstairs and watches Mad Men on Netflix in the middle of the night

Sometimes at 2am in the morning you want someone to choose what to watch for you.

It's not just 2am though - even 10pm onwards has become somewhat of a wasteland most nights.
JW
JamesWorldNews
The Hitman and Her!

Never saw it sober.

Newer posts