The Newsroom

Brexit Dramarama

UPDATE | Extension to 31st Jan 2020 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
I can recall Major's resignation announcement also breaking into BBC1 at the same time - I think they took off Newsround, an episode of The Machine Gunners that Children's BBC were re-running at the time, and Neighbours.

That's right - I remember it was actually announced on Newsround as breaking news, then they went to another story, and thirty seconds later were faded out for a newsflash. That seemed quite surprising at the time because the convention those days was that you didn't do newsflashes during CBBC. As you say, a different era then in terms of news channels.

On ITV, they were showing England in the Rugby World Cup, so all they could do is put a banner on the screen, and eventually John Taylor the commentator read it out ("The players certainly not aware of that").
Blake Connolly and UKnews gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
I can recall Major's resignation announcement also breaking into BBC1 at the same time - I think they took off Newsround, an episode of The Machine Gunners that Children's BBC were re-running at the time, and Neighbours.

That's right - I remember it was actually announced on Newsround as breaking news, then they went to another story, and thirty seconds later were faded out for a newsflash. That seemed quite surprising at the time because the convention those days was that you didn't do newsflashes during CBBC. As you say, a different era then in terms of news channels.

I remember this too. Looking back, it seems odd to fade out Newsround when the presenter could have handed over to the newsflash, explaining what was happening in the process.
NE
neonemesis
Some of the reports are citing sources that "the palace is being kept informed". That sounds like she's standing down?

I can't help but think that too, why would the palace need to be informed otherwise?

As the Queen is head of state I would expect the Palace to be informed of all significant developments as a courtesy if nothing else.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Just what the world needs right now: Trump and Johnson in charge...........

Anyway, back to Brexit: it's getting a helluva coverage over here in my part of the world. It really is a huge global story.

Is ITN going open ended yet or what are they up to?
IS
Inspector Sands

Open ended with what? The vote is between 6 and 8 tonight so there's nothing happening
JW
JamesWorldNews

Open ended with what? The vote is between 6 and 8 tonight so there's nothing happening

Aha. Ok. Sorry.
BB
BBI45
rob posted:
Here we go... vote of confidence in Theresa May between 6pm and 8pm tonight.

That will be both News at Ten's extended tonight (and propable Newsflashes) if she loses.

ITV has Peston on at 10:45, going out live again. I reckon ITV NaT will go at normal time, with Peston being left to cover afterwards.
WO
Worzel
Simon McCoy interviewing Joey Jones on Sky N... sorry BBC News just now. Very Happy
SW
Steve Williams
I remember this too. Looking back, it seems odd to fade out Newsround when the presenter could have handed over to the newsflash, explaining what was happening in the process.

I remember whoever the presenter was (Chris Rogers?) very gingerly reading the news off a bit of paper, so presumably they knew about as much as what was going on as we did.
GE
thegeek Founding member

I remember whoever the presenter was (Chris Rogers?) very gingerly reading the news off a bit of paper, so presumably they knew about as much as what was going on as we did.

I just went to see if I could find a clip of it, and discovered this clip of the leadership election Major triggered in 1995. The music they've picked for the theme tune seems even more appropriate today.
JM
JamesM0984
IIRC ITV pushed Emmerdale back in 2003 for IDS' vote (the Tories at that point being in opposition) - I'm sure it'll be in the archive here somewhere!

Apprentice to BBC Two? Doubtful they'll push it back and then be late for the 10.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Brilliant, so for some reason there are now two threads talking about the same thing!

Newer posts