TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
Slightly o/t but have been watching some of the 1976 episodes and in one episode Noel Edmonds refers to Robin Nash's departure. Although he was producer until 1980, why he did leave first time? Also noticed a range of producers in '76 after Nash (Brian Whitehouse and Johnnie Stewart) before Nash came back in '77.

I don't know why he left in 1976, but as you say, Noel does make reference to it and then he returns in January 1977. But it's worth remembering in those days that all the producers were on the staff and the Beeb would reassign them to whatever project they saw fit, so presumably he was seconded to do something else for the second half of 1976. Of course, Johnnie Stewart was the original producer back in 1964.

Although Robin Nash remained in charge until 1980, you'll note that in 1978 he becomes Executive Producer and there was a host of other producers underneath - Phil Bishop, Stanley Appel and Brian Whitehouse were the most frequent, although there were many others, including the likes of Paul Jackson who would do a month or so, it was pretty much the case that every producer in the light entertainment department, at a time when that was run on military lines and you would work your way up, would do a few weeks on Pops as part of their development. At that point Nash was also Head of Variety and his role on the show in those days was basically to meet with that week's producer, decide on the running order and then let the producer get on with it. He wasn't very hands on.

That's also sort of the case with the show we're seeing now as while Michael Hurll is still in charge, the vast majority of the episodes since early 1985 have been produced by Brian Whitehouse or Stanley Appel, as Hurll had various other production roles at the time, most obviously on The Late Late Breakfast Show and The Two Ronnies. So while Hurll would still have been the big boss - hence why he was phoned up in Australia when John Peel talked about breaking wind - on a day-to-day basis he wouldn't have had much to do about it.

In those days Pops sort of ran itself anyway.
Lottie Long-Legs, benriggers and DE88 gave kudos
DE
DE88
No real surprise that Clara Amfo is staying on alongside Fearne Cotton for this year's Christmas and New Year specials:

https://www.nme.com/news/heres-line-top-pops-christmas-day-new-years-day-specials-2416458/amp

Mind you, I think Clara's ace - anyone who considers the name of the main presenter of Good Morning Britain a profanity, but uses the 'T' word without asterisks and in all caps to describe him, earns a very great deal of respect from me. Laughing Laughing Wink Thumbs up

(And although I wouldn't consider myself a huge Little Mix fan, I too took their side here. They *do* come across as very likeable young ladies, after all.)

Meanwhile, the Christmas show will be the fifteenth in succession to be co-presented by Fearne. To think that when she first did it, one member of One Direction was 10 and three others were 11, while Richard Whiteley was still alive and Eamonn Holmes was still presenting GMTV... Embarassed Embarassed

And the shows will be coming from Elstree for the fifth consecutive year (again, no real surprise). Unless I'm mistaken, the shows make use of Stages 8 and 9 - the latter being the one on which Chris Tarrant said "Final answer?" and "But we don't want to give you that!" for many years. Cool
Woodpecker and watchingtv gave kudos
BU
buster
Curiously the "New Year" special is going out on Saturday 29th December this year.
AR
Argybargy
Curiously the "New Year" special is going out on Saturday 29th December this year.

And another early Christmas Day start- 12:30pm instead of the "traditional" 2pm.
JA
james-2001
Someone on DS said that this week's BBC4 episode sounded like it was in stereo- possibly the first one (barring the 1000th episode in 1983)? Though it wouldn't have been broadcast that way originally if it was made in stereo anyway. I imagine the BBC were upgrading the studios at TVC to stereo at the time, so it's possible episodes began being made that way, depending on whether they were done in a stereo studio or not.
VM
VMPhil
Ah I’ve been waiting for the first stereo episode! The NICAM tests started in 1986 so I was expecting stereo to appear in the current run of episodes.

I think it was only being broadcast that way through the Crystal Palace transmitter, and you had to have a NICAM decoder somehow.
MA
Markymark
Someone on DS said that this week's BBC4 episode sounded like it was in stereo- possibly the first one (barring the 1000th episode in 1983)? Though it wouldn't have been broadcast that way originally if it was made in stereo anyway. I imagine the BBC were upgrading the studios at TVC to stereo at the time, so it's possible episodes began being made that way, depending on whether they were done in a stereo studio or not.

The BBC were broadcasting selected programmes in NICAM stereo from Crystal Palace from 1986 (for the benefit of themselves, and the receiver manufacturers) so very likely some editions of TOTP were recorded in stereo

Wogan's chat show was another NICAM test prog I think.

@VMPhil Yes, the only NICAM decoders were in R&d labs at the time.
JA
james-2001
so very likely some editions of TOTP were recorded in stereo.

One of the shows most likely to benefit from it, as I guess easy to convert as most, if not all, of the music featured would already have been mixed in stereo to begin with.
MA
Markymark
so very likely some editions of TOTP were recorded in stereo.

One of the shows most likely to benefit from it, as I guess easy to convert as most, if not all, of the music featured would already have been mixed in stereo to begin with.

Yep, particularly as most of the studio acts were simply miming to their record/CD track !
JA
james-2001
This is another of the times I really miss the BBC4 TOTP tweetalongs, they tweeted so much interesting stuff including part of the PasC (or PasB for live episodes) logs, which amongst other things told us what studio was used (moving between studios 3, 4, 6 and 8 from week to week), and likely would also have noted which episodes were made in stereo too.
JA
james-2001
Speaking of Stereo TOTP, there's a video here with the picture from BBC1 and the audio from the Radio 1 simulcast from a November 1988 episode.

Does anyone know when the Radio 1 simulcasts ended? I presume it was around the time NICAM launched officially. Which ironically would have taken stereo TOTP away from most people, as I imagine not many people would have had NICAM equipment in 1991 (not to mention the numerous transmitters that weren't in NICAM even if they did). Though I imagine Radio 1 appreciated getting those 30 minutes back for their own programming.
CO
Colm
The last Radio 1 simulcast was on 29-8-1991.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/radio1/england/1991-08-29

While Genome says Jakki Brambles was the host of TOTP that week, it was actually Mark Goodier - who was broadcasting either side of that edition on 1FM.

[Note the incorrect date on the video]

The following Thursday, the 7.00-7.30 slot on Radio 1 was filled by the last 30 minutes of Jakki Brambles' show - while she was hosting her last TOTP at the same time in NICAM stereo on BBC1.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/radio1/england/1991-09-05

Newer posts