TV Home Forum

ITV are now eyeing up STV

ITV will not have a easy ride like UTV.... (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MK
Mr Kite
If STV gets bought by ITV I will move to Norway

What if they revive the Grampian brand? Wink
JM
JamesM0984
Murdoch will buy ITV. Cash rich now.

Bring STV to heel first then sell the lot. And no, we won't see ITV become Fox.
CU
Curto21
If STV gets bought by ITV I will move to Norway

What if they revive the Grampian brand? Wink

I will come back
NorthTonight and Mr Kite gave kudos
ME
melter

However, I don't think a takeover will be cut and dry. I think there is a chance a Scottish company/businessperson could still mount a takeover to keep control north of the border.

Doubtful anyone would be willing to spend £200 million just to keep a company "Scottish"
:-(
A former member
Tax reasons? Amazon or Apple is tech Irish..
RJ
RJG
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the viewers in the Border region actually like their cross-border news service? I don't think I've ever read any calls from the people of the region for change

It may be anomalous, and editorially make little sense as far as politics goes, but the views of the audience would need to be factored in, and on both sides of the Border as well

Yes, of course people in Peebles, 22 miles from the capital of Scotland, love hearing about events in Keswick and Cockermouth and the latest about Workington rugby league and Carlisle United..
RO
robertclark125
I think it's more a case, would those viewers hope that if STV does get bought by ITV, and there are changes to news boundaries, that they can still get news about the Borders in their bulletins, certainly the same quantity of coverage.
SP
Spencer
RJG posted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the viewers in the Border region actually like their cross-border news service? I don't think I've ever read any calls from the people of the region for change

It may be anomalous, and editorially make little sense as far as politics goes, but the views of the audience would need to be factored in, and on both sides of the Border as well

Yes, of course people in Peebles, 22 miles from the capital of Scotland, love hearing about events in Keswick and Cockermouth and the latest about Workington rugby league and Carlisle United..

Is it not the case though that pretty much every TV region has areas on its periphery where people would choose to receive a different service if it wasn’t for the local topography making it impossible?
Lou Scannon and Closedown gave kudos
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
I think it's fair to say when STV disposed on it's local STV2 channels many people on these forums suspected it was done in part to make itself more attractive for a takeover by ITV Plc. If/when it happens maybe it'll be time for Ofcom to change the channel 3 licences to just one licence for each nation, with a requirement of x hours of regional/nation focused content.
Brekkie, nwtv2003 and Lou Scannon gave kudos
LS
Lou Scannon

Is it not the case though that pretty much every TV region has areas on its periphery where people would choose to receive a different service if it wasn’t for the local topography making it impossible?

Indeed.

Unless you happen to be lucky enough to live fairly centrally within a particular region's broadcast patch, you're gonna have an unbalanced skew of news.

For example... Henley-on-Thames viewers (on DTT, at least) are cut off from hearing news about the rest of Oxfordshire, but get to hear about news from as far southeast as parts of Kent! A region has got to begin and end somewhere, so such anomalies are unavoidable.

No solution is ideal. Viewers in Eyemouth may prefer to hear about Berwick-upon-Tweed rather than Tobermory, Inverness or Whitehaven. And I doubt that viewers in Stranraer care about news from Eyemouth. You can't please everyone.
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 7 December 2018 9:11pm
Closedown and Spencer gave kudos
SP
Spencer

Indeed.

Unless you happen to be lucky enough to live fairly centrally within a particular region's broadcast patch, you're gonna have an unbalanced skew of news.

For example... Henley-on-Thames viewers (on DTT, at least) are cut off from hearing news about the rest of Oxfordshire, but get to hear about news from as far southeast as parts of Kent! A region has got to begin and end somewhere, so such anomalies are unavoidable.

Yep - I used to live in Harrogate, 15 miles from Leeds, and yet because there’s a big hill which blocks out signals from Emley Moor to the town, most people with an aerial there get their regional news from Newcastle, 80 miles away. Until all TV is delivered by satellite or IP, it’s just the way it is unfortunately.
LS
Lou Scannon
Until all TV is delivered by satellite or IP, it’s just the way it is unfortunately.

It'd be interesting to see how regions would be fully rationalised in such a scenario.

For example... Would the Look East (west) / Anglia West region be abolished, with different parts of it being variously added to E Midlands, East (Norwich), London, and South/Thames Valley?

At the very least, anomalies like N-NW Norfolk getting "Hull" news rather than Norwich could be rectified.

Newer posts