Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFCXfNprOtk

A BBC News report on the launch of S4C in Wales and whether it would be successful. Also keep watching to the end as it also includes a continuity link from S4C’s first night.

The cockup at 4m10s is one that would never happen now!
WH
Whataday Founding member

A BBC News report on the launch of S4C in Wales and whether it would be successful. Also keep watching to the end as it also includes a continuity link from S4C’s first night.

When you look at S4C's launch idents they are very much ahead of their time, using filmed footage with a neat logo placed bottom centre.

I never liked that story Joe Pasquale gave about Bob while he was dying and was delerious talking about aliens and a Woolworth reciept. I'm not sure why either he thought it was appropriate to tell it.

Doesn't seem inappropriate to me as far as Bob's concerned. Bob had a very matter of fact outlook on his death. Also Pasquale was a close friend so presumably knows Bob wouldn't have minded that story being shared. I can understand how people that are uncomfortable about the thought of death would feel uneasy though.
Night Thoughts and DE88 gave kudos
GO
gottago
Is there a full video of S4C’s launch online anywhere? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it.
NT
Night Thoughts

It's striking how hostile that report is to the idea of Welsh language broadcasting, especially considering the BBC's internal politics around Wales today!
:-(
A former member
Even the locals didnt want it. Just to ask, did the people in the south even get full ascess to ch4london back in the 80s?
IS
Inspector Sands

It's striking how hostile that report is to the idea of Welsh language broadcasting, especially considering the BBC's internal politics around Wales today!

Yes, and it's surprising that acceptance of the language has grown even though the number of people who speak it hasn't increased by much since 1981

Even the locals didnt want it. Just to ask, did the people in the south even get full ascess to ch4london back in the 80s?

Only from a transmitter in England. Last time I went to south Wales was in the 90's and we got HTV and S4C as well as Westcountry and C4 clear as anything. Unless it appeared on any cable services that was the only way to get C4 in Wales
SW
Steve Williams
Only from a transmitter in England. Last time I went to south Wales was in the 90's and we got HTV and S4C as well as Westcountry and C4 clear as anything. Unless it appeared on any cable services that was the only way to get C4 in Wales

Well, indeed, and in North Wales we all turned our aerials to Winter Hill to get Granada and C4 rather than HTV and S4C. Although S4C was always useful as a sort of Channel 4 +1, if you missed Brookside you could always catch it on S4C at ten.

15 days later

VM
VMPhil
It’ll Be Alright on Election Night. Shown before ITV’s 2001 general election coverage.

A former member
The poorest of all the Alright on the nights..
JA
james-2001
Until David Walliams.
VM
VMPhil
It's been a year since Kaleidoscope reported they'd discovered a Bob Monkhouse recorded copy of the elusive 1978 BBC2 Christmas ident. One year later and The TV Museum has uploaded another!

A former member
Back in 2016 I found some Easy ways to pay you TV licences

I have now come across 4th one with stamps...

Here are the other three..

Newer posts