TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas 2018

1st December. Split from Christmas Idents 2018 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVfan5321
DELETED
Last edited by TVfan5321 on 5 December 2018 1:30pm - 2 times in total
HT
HTV Best
Ponder on this as an idea... (theory is too strong a word)

The first of the Oneness ident was shot at Clevedon Pier. There have been no piers in idents since so maybe, just maybe, the pier in the Christmas idents is a nod to the past and a new set of idents will start in January. The new dawn rises in the east after all and where is Cromer?... See! No flies on me.

It's all there if you read between the lines 😉
SP
Spencer

The first of the Oneness ident was shot at Clevedon Pier. There have been no piers in idents since so maybe, just maybe, the pier in the Christmas idents is a nod to the past and a new set of idents will start in January. The new dawn rises in the east after all and where is Cromer?... See! No flies on me.

Did you write the clues on 3-2-1? Wink
HC
Hatton Cross

Very 3-2-1.

"Well, the clue stated a pier.. Well a pier is a construction that usually goes into the sea, or its something you look at, or to peer. For that to make it clearer you need glasses, so could it be a set of decanter and glasses. But the clues said there are no piers, so it's not that.

We also said 'nod' if you reverse nod you get Don, the Don is the Head of the mafia, do it could be a holiday to Italy.

But the clue ended 'Where is Cromer - see there's no flies on me.

So where, or more importantly what is Cromer, well its a seaside town, but its also half of the word chrome. Chrome is used to make aircraft, which would tie in with' flies', but we said 'no' which rules out aircraft, but also made out of chrome are household objects, and flies are found around waste recepticles, and yes.. You've just rejected Dusty Bin!!
HT
HTV Best
Nah, the idents will end up in dusty bin!
If I'm right it will more Strike it Lucky than 321.
SC
Si-Co
When did the practice of launching Christmas idents in early December begin? Not just on the BBC but on UK channels in general?

My recollection as a child was of normal idents and presentation throughout December, and the Christmas idents or IVC backdrop (on ITV) launching on the morning of Christmas Eve, or sometimes a day or two beforehand.
JK
JKDerry
Si-Co posted:
When did the practice of launching Christmas idents in early December begin? Not just on the BBC but on UK channels in general?

My recollection as a child was of normal idents and presentation throughout December, and the Christmas idents or IVC backdrop (on ITV) launching on the morning of Christmas Eve, or sometimes a day or two beforehand.

2015 was the first year BBC One launched their Christmas idents on December 1st. That was the earliest for any UK channel, and ITV followed suit from 2016 onwards in starting their Christmas presentation from the start of December.
JK
JKDerry
In the 70s, 80s and 90s, Christmas idents on BBC One was usually just for three days, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I remember Boxing Night 1991, where the announcer said they were packing away the Christmas idents for another year, and that was just before closedown in 1991.
Stuart, Si-Co and Closedown gave kudos
FA
fanoftv
Would you say that Christmas is a bigger thing that it used to be, from all points, commercial and celebration?
TE
tesandco Founding member
I do have clips on the site from Granada in 1990 where they have the festive branded trailers out and decorations are up in the IVC booth by December 16th. So not everyone waited right up until Christmas Eve even back then!

(Granada were still on their Autumn ident on December 1st that year mind!)
FA
fanoftv
I have vague memories of Central using Christmas idents a week or so before and possibly after Christmas rather than the BBC just doing the three days.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
At the risk of sounding like a broken record ( I seem to point this out every year) - the BBC were restricted back in the day in that their Christmas idents were physical models that were set up in Pres B. Tying that studio up for a few days over Christmas was ok, but using it for any longer would have caused problems.

Newer posts