TV Home Forum

Christmas TV 2018

Schedules and programme discussion (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
A lovely promo just focussing on the entertainment coming up and not all programmes are featured either.

I presume that they have been pushing 2019 drama and dancing on ice during the breaks of i’m a celebrity due to the amount of viewers that it’s pulling in.
JK
JKDerry
ITV have always pushed and promoted their January schedule in Christmas time, as advertising revenue from mid December onward decreases. You will notice I'm a Celeb ends this Sunday, and for the remainder of December, there are really no big shows on offer, as ITV know advertisers scale back the closer they get to Christmas. This is what I was told by an ad sales executive.

Once Christmas is away, January is the big time again, and so The Voice, Dancing on Ice and a whole load of new dramas will air and that is where the money is made.
JK
JKDerry
Ireland's Virgin Media Television (used to be called TV3) have released their Christmas line up. As you can predict, the majority of their output is from ITV.

https://scannain.com/teilifis/virgin-media-television-christmas-2018/
JE
Jez Founding member
ITV have always pushed and promoted their January schedule in Christmas time, as advertising revenue from mid December onward decreases. You will notice I'm a Celeb ends this Sunday, and for the remainder of December, there are really no big shows on offer, as ITV know advertisers scale back the closer they get to Christmas. This is what I was told by an ad sales executive.

Once Christmas is away, January is the big time again, and so The Voice, Dancing on Ice and a whole load of new dramas will air and that is where the money is made.

I can understand them airing promotions for January shows during Christmas itself but the first week of December?
JK
JKDerry
Jez posted:

I can understand them airing promotions for January shows during Christmas itself but the first week of December?

Getting the attention of viewers and advertisers alike. Keep promoting and it will stick in the memory of viewers, also persuade some advertisers to but advertising space in those programmes. ITV might have not sold some commercial slots yet.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member

Christmas double issue RT cover revealed at midday. Cover price is apparently £4.90 this year.
JK
JKDerry

Christmas double issue RT cover revealed at midday. Cover price is apparently £4.90 this year.

Wasn't it £5 last year?
AN
Andrew Founding member
No it was £4.50
AR
Argybargy

I do like The Snowman, but come on! That's 3 times he's adorned the Christmas RT in the last 7 years.

Sadly, the beautifully-illustrated covers of the late 70s and early 80s are now the Ghost of Christmas Past....
JK
JKDerry
No it was £4.50

So, will there ever be a Christmas when the price is reduced?
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
No it was £4.50

So, will there ever be a Christmas when the price is reduced?

Doubt it. Number of pages and increasing printing costs are a factor.
DE
DE88

And when this year's Christmas Wrapping comes out, expect him to say something along the lines of "I really wish they'd stop calling it legendary..." Wink

Newer posts