The Newsroom

Brexit Dramarama

UPDATE | Extension to 31st Jan 2020 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
This was the original Panorama which is still on the Sky EPG. The BBC website now lists Brexit: Decision Time.

Quote:
Takeaway Secrets Exposed.
The UK takeaway industry is booming. The country now spends over £10 billion a year on takeaway food, with the online market being dominated by giants like JustEat and Deliveroo. But what is the real cost of convenience? Panorama investigates how planning laws are being subverted and food safety legislation flouted in the battle to sell whatever consumers want to eat, whenever and wherever they want to eat it. Reporter Tina Daheley lifts the lid on the secrets of the takeaway industry.

There was mention of a special half hour Brexit programme on Monday somewhere. I think it will be a BBC News Special rather than Panorama.
BM
BM11
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1070744016831033345
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1070748600685223939
Last edited by BM11 on 6 December 2018 6:40pm
BM
BM11
https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1070752115235135490
ITV debate officially cancelled
NE
News96
That's the end of that then as i'd rather watch Home Alone!
GE
thegeek Founding member
Well keep an eye on the EPG, because it's currently scheduled from 1735-1935, and the press release says C4's debate starts at 1900.
JK
JKDerry
Britain seems to hate television debates. Election debates are like a minefield to organise, with the 2017 debates a complete mess, as Mrs May not bothering to attend the BBC seven way debate.
:-(
A former member
Britain seems to hate television debates. Election debates are like a minefield to organise, with the 2017 debates a complete mess, as Mrs May not bothering to attend the BBC seven way debate.

No, Britain doesn't hate them , English and Welsh do. TV debate have been common place on Scottish TV sets for years and years..
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I just think there's a fundamental problem with them due to the way the British political system works. In the US, TV debates work because each voter can vote for the various presidential candidates who are involved with the debate. Whereas in Britain, voters actually only vote for candidates in their own local constituency. The winner of that constituency becomes an MP and the government is formed from the party who wins the most MPs/constituencies. So, in a debate between Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn, although the issues are worthy of being debated, the only people who are actually going to directly vote for those individuals are those voters in their own constituencies. So, you might absolutely love Theresa May's performance in the debate and you decide to vote Conservative based on her personality and performance - but if the voters in her own constituency don't vote for her, she'll lose her seat and won't be Prime Minister.

I think that's the big problem - the broadcasters want to turn this into a personality contest like it is in the US. But that doesn't really translate that well to the UK, in my opinion. My own take on them is that we managed for years without them, so why bother?

My other bugbear with British people is the way some state that certain PMs like Gordon Brown and Theresa May are "unelected". Erm, no, they are elected just as much as any other MP as they won their own constituency in the last General Election. The leader of the winning party gets the opportunity to form a government and in doing so becomes PM. So, if the PM resigns, it is perfectly acceptable for the party with the largest share of the seats to elect a new party leader internally who then becomes PM by default. That's exactly how the British political system should work. It drives me absolutely crazy when we get a change of PM between elections and people start moaning about them being "unelected"!
WH
Whataday Founding member
I think your understanding of the system is wrong, because it IS a personality contest, and has been for many many years.

What you say would be correct if most seats changed hands each election, but that's not the case. The relatively few marginal seats which swing it one way or the other are largely won based on how many floating voters have been swayed by the leader of the party.
NE
Newsroom
Keep it NON POLITICAL people.... disheartening to see so much AQUA (warnings) to people who've been on here since time began.
KE
kernow
Keep it NON POLITICAL people.... disheartening to see so much AQUA

Nothing wrong with a bit of Aqua! Might even help to reverse Brexit!

NE
News96
Seems the Channel 4 Deabte is happening!

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/channel-4-host-real-brexit-debate

Newer posts