TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
Derek Thompson does some on course loudspeaker commentaries at a few racecourses, I believe. He also works with BBC radio during big meetings, such as the National Hunt Festival.

May I use a mention of his name as an excuse for this clip?
Hatton Cross and DE88 gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
DE88 posted:
I guess John McCririck's TV career is well and truly over now.

From an interview in The Mail On Sunday recently, John McCririck may be well and truly over soon.

He's not been well for some time.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Major restrictions on Television Gambling Adverts agreed

CL
Closedown
Bad news for the future of live sports FTA in my view. See also what happened to children's TV production after the sweetie ads ban.
BM
BM11
Bad news for the future of live sports FTA in my view. See also what happened to children's TV production after the sweetie ads ban.

Many of the lower rating FTA sports on commercial channels don't have that many gambling adverts or rate well enough that making money from broadcasting them won't be a problem.
NG
noggin Founding member

That's probably a small price to pay (and won't impact the BBC, and shouldn't hit higher rating events on ITV).

Personally I think the live sports loophole that allows gambling ads to be aired pre-watershed should be closed legally, not voluntarily.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The effectiveness of this will be small. especially if

1. In, using as an example, a 1600 KO the buildup and review sections of the presentation are bombarded. Blocking 1600-1750 only is tokenism. The whole programme should be off bounds.
2. Highlights and Long Form Replay (Match Choice) programming is exempt.

The only answer is to remove completely in all programmes concluding after 0600 and commencing before 2100 daily.
JO
Joe
I suspect this is the start, not the end.
HC
Hatton Cross
As a gambler (I'm a regular 'customer' of at least two of those companies taking part in the self-exclusion) I'm actually quite impressed that the industry, which is known for finding large amounts of sand to bury their collective heads in quickly, has done this.

I thought we would get to a point first, similar to the IBA rule for commercials back in the late 80's. One advert for one company selling/proving a product per ad break.

So, if you had an advert for 'Stevens Carpets, 65a Long Road, Lower Wibble' you couldn't then play/schedule an advert in the same break for 'Jeff's Carpets, 91 Long Road, Lower Wibble' as they were the same advertiser product.

So, in a live game Ladbrokes had the first ad in the break, no other high street or on line bookie could advertise in that break.

A ban around live sports is welcome, but I do fear on overseas live sports coverage, broadcasters like BT Sport, will be forced to fill up break spots with promos than actual adverts.
DV
DVB Cornwall
FA CUP 3rd Round TV

Friday 4 January 2019
Tranmere Rovers or Southport v Tottenham Hotspur (7.45pm)
Live on BT Sport 2 & BT Sport 4K UHD

Saturday 5 January 2019
Manchester United v Reading (12.30pm)

Solihull Moors or Blackpool v Arsenal (5.30pm)

Sunday 6 January 2019
Woking v Watford (2pm)

Wrexham or Newport County v Leicester City (4.30pm)
Live on BBC One

Monday 7 January 2019
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Liverpool (7.45pm)
Live on BBC One

and R2 Replays

Monday 17 December 2018 Second Round Proper
Southport VS Tranmere Rovers
Live on BT Sport 1

Tuesday 18 December 2018 Second Round Proper
Blackpool VS Solihull Moors
Live on BT Sport 1
PE
peterh
About right typical but it’s Man U again
BR
Brekkie
About right typical but it’s Man U again

The Man Utd game is probably justified - a struggling team having a poor season playing Reading.

Have the BBC still got first pick because if they went for Wolves v Liverpool that seems to go against their strategy of recent years of going for the potential giant kill (Tranmere/Solihull v Tottenham) rather than a non-top six all Premier League tie,

Newer posts