« Topics
scottishtv1,695 posts since 6 Nov 2001
STV Central Reporting Scotland
RE holiday shows, I remember Holiday having a spin-off called "Holiday: You Call The Shots" and it tended to feature more short break/city break type destinations with tips and advice on what to do sent in by email or phone calls (!) from other viewers. Quite an innovative format for the time and took advantage of some off-the-beaten-track travel tips. I can only find a Las Vegas example on YouTube, and it's probably not the best one given it's quite obvious what to do in Vegas.

I guess YouTube has all this covered now with so many travellers and vids on there now, but I'm still surprised there isn't room for a viewer-relatable programme on one of the main channels. I've also thought that The Travel Show on the News Channel might've got more of a mainstream airing actually, it's well made.
Steve Williams2,447 posts since 1 Aug 2008
RE holiday shows, I remember Holiday having a spin-off called "Holiday: You Call The Shots" and it tended to feature more short break/city break type destinations with tips and advice on what to do sent in by email or phone calls (!) from other viewers. Quite an innovative format for the time and took advantage of some off-the-beaten-track travel tips.

There were about ten trillion Holiday spin-offs in the late nineties, You Call The Shots as you say plus also Fasten Your Seatbelt (celebs doing holiday-related jobs), Summer Holiday, Holidays Out, Holiday Memories. Holiday was pretty much a year-round series at the turn of the century with all these spin-offs. Watchdog had a load as well - Weekend Watchdog, of course, plus also Value For Money, The Big Dinner, Face Value and umpteen others.

People complain about The One Show being on every day but before that 7pm was usually just Holiday or Watchdog anyway.
DE88 and scottishtv gave kudos
Neil Jones4,584 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
What turned out to be Bob Monkhouse's last stand-up performance, recorded in 2003 six months prior to his passing but not aired in full until 2016. Portions of this were used in the fascinating Secret Life Of Bob Monkhouse documentary:

And for completeness, probably posted before but what the heck, here is the said excellent Monkhouse documentary:
LCL92, DE88 and Night Thoughts gave kudos
noggin13,884 posts since 26 Jun 2001
RE holiday shows, I remember Holiday having a spin-off called "Holiday: You Call The Shots" and it tended to feature more short break/city break type destinations with tips and advice on what to do sent in by email or phone calls (!) from other viewers. Quite an innovative format for the time and took advantage of some off-the-beaten-track travel tips.

There were about ten trillion Holiday spin-offs in the late nineties, You Call The Shots as you say plus also Fasten Your Seatbelt (celebs doing holiday-related jobs), Summer Holiday, Holidays Out, Holiday Memories. Holiday was pretty much a year-round series at the turn of the century with all these spin-offs.

Yep - ISTR 'Departure Lounge' too...

Quote:

Watchdog had a load as well - Weekend Watchdog, of course, plus also Value For Money, The Big Dinner, Face Value and umpteen others.

Including 'Health Check'...

Quote:

People complain about The One Show being on every day but before that 7pm was usually just Holiday or Watchdog anyway.

Yes - or repeats of daytime shows...
VMPhil8,937 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones' 1988 Christmas special, Alas Sage and Onion. The original broadcast apparently had a scene featuring a plane crash cut, due to it being shown shortly after news of the Lockerbie bombing, which must have been a real last minute edit. The scene was restored when the programme was released on DVD.

DE88 gave kudos
Steve Williams2,447 posts since 1 Aug 2008
Yep - ISTR 'Departure Lounge' too...

Depature Lounge was a bit different, it was much later in 2005 - one of the first programmes to replace Top of the Pops on a Friday - and was live, studio-based and an hour long, I think pretty much an attempt to find a new travel show to replace Holiday which was flagging quite badly at the time. Didn't work out, and I remember the biggest reaction was complaints on Points of View about Nick Knowles repeatedly and distractingly fiddling with his glasses.
james-20013,680 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones' 1988 Christmas special, Alas Sage and Onion. The original broadcast apparently had a scene featuring a plane crash cut, due to it being shown shortly after news of the Lockerbie bombing, which must have been a real last minute edit. The scene was restored when the programme was released on DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEXUfENQCOE

A very early example of an indy production completely cocking up the BBC logo at the end of the show, which became very common in the 90s!
Steve in Pudsey and MrDexB gave kudos
james-20013,680 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today

And for completeness, probably posted before but what the heck, here is the said excellent Monkhouse documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifN_zrLLKA

I never liked that story Joe Pasquale gave about Bob while he was dying and was delerious talking about aliens and a Woolworth reciept. I'm not sure why either he thought it was appropriate to tell it, or why the programme makers thought it was appropriate to include.