TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas 2018

1st December. Split from Christmas Idents 2018 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Yes, I felt EastEnders fitted into the schedule better when it aired early evening and then a bit later. Agree with other Call the Midwife is just too long too, though is Strictly shorter than usual - think that may have been 90 minutes in previous years.

Although the last couple of episodes of Car Share were not great at all throwing them out in the middle of the year seems like a waste - that would have fitted into the Christmas Day schedule quite nicely. Hopefully to if the Not Going Out live special works this year they'll get a chance at the Christmas Day slot next year - they've had a couple of Christmas Eve episodes which have done quite well I think, and more importantly been quite funny.
RD
RDJ
Why is Outnumbered on at 10.50pm? This I assume is the 2016 Christmas special? BBC seems to have given up after 10.50pm.

Way too late for Outnumbered. They might as well closedown and throw to the News Channel at 10.50pm. It's a shame they couldn't look towards their legacy repeats given they remain to be the peoples Christmas favourites through the annals of time.

The Royle Family or Only Fools and Horses could have worked well. Just two years ago they shown the Christmas Lunch episode of The Vicar of Dibley to round off the night. It was a perfect fit to round off Christmas Day with as the last thing to watch before the family crept off to bed.
DE
DE88
Kind of looking forward to the day when Mrs Brown finally fecks off... Embarassed
Newsroom24, JasonB and rob gave kudos
LO
lobster
I think we'll be seeing Eastenders and Mrs Brown's boys as prime time fixtures on Christmas Day until the heat death of the universe...

It would be nice to see something a bit different, it's mostly been the same for years now.
JM
JamesM0984
EastEnders and other soaps on Christmas Day I get - we have 1986 to thank for that.

They could certainly put it out earlier though. There's a big enough audience as early as 3:10pm - I'd do the Queen, news, family film, news, then EastEnders around 5.30-6.

Strictly I hate but can understand its presence.
Call The Midwife is way too long as others have said though. It's a fairly crapppy line-up.
BR
Brekkie
DE88 posted:
Kind of looking forward to the day when Mrs Brown finally fecks off... Embarassed

Trouble is it'll end up airing every year even when it does finish - it'll be easy filler for the late night schedule.

I do think the BBC's overall schedule for BBC1 over the period is slightly stronger than last year. I do question some of the scheduling however - Watership Down especially doesn't seem right to air over the weekend IMO and could have bought something different to early evening on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, while they are still struggling post-watershed on Christmas Day. Indeed having Michael McIntyre in the 9.15pm slot might would have worked well too.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Two of the creators of this year’s film were interviewed on BBC Breakfast this morning around 7:45. Naga seemed to catch them both off guard when she asked something along the lines of ‘why do bbc one need to make a film when people will be watching over Christmas no matter what’.

She is right.

As Lord Sugar would say ‘where’s the bloody product’, the film does nothing and promotes nothing about BBC One this Christmas, but does make a nice film that looks good in the media bubble.
JB
JasonB
DE88 posted:

And about fecking time too.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
DE88 posted:

Trouble is it'll end up airing every year even when it does finish - it'll be easy filler for the late night schedule.

I do question some of the scheduling however - Watership Down especially doesn't seem right to air over the weekend IMO and could have bought something different to early evening on Christmas Day and Boxing Day

I can see why they didn’t, it’s a totally depressing story. Would be such a mood killer for early evening on Christmas Day.
MR
mr_vivian
I get why people are fed up with Mrs Brown but it wouldn't be on if it didn't get an audience and it's really a case of you get the humour or you don't at all.

I'm guessing the irish diaspora helps it out in the ratings.

If you have an irish mammy you might get the jokes a bit more.
ID
Identity
After seeing the 2 minute video on bbc one about the mother working to hard and that and then meet in the pier... the idents kind of make more sense and they really are growing on me. And the tune is quite catchy
SW
Steve Williams
I know Call the Midwife is popular but a 90 minute special right across the middle of prime time seems a bit much, and a bit heavy for Christmas night.

In 1986, 1987 and 1989, Miss Marple was on Christmas Day for over ninety minutes, which was surely even heavier-going - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1989-12-25

Indeed, Richard Curtis said he wrote his one-off Bernard and The Genie because his family watched that Miss Marple in 1989, and he said, "Two people were stabbed and one was forcibly injected with heroin. By the end of it we were totally miserable."

Newer posts