The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Stuart
From ZDF in Germany, a five-minute newscast at 5:35 p.m., 1981:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=891nKiqHcAo

Such an understated title sequence; it reminds me of BBC 'News on 2' of a similar era.
WO
Woodpecker
Here's what I think is an incredibly cheesy promo from TVNZ in 1995, plugging the new-look early evening slot, containing a newly-extended hour-long edition of what was then called One Network News, followed by current affairs programme Holmes.

Another year, another cheesy promo (0:03 below): this one is from (I think) 1996, and is a promo for One Network News as a whole. Don't you just luurve the anchors' cheesy grins to the camera at 0:50? Laughing And how about that song? Cool Incidentally, the late news anchors from that era were actually an item at that point. The rest of the video is a mix of bloopers and various other bits and bobs from One (Network) News over the years, with intros from 1997 (the 10,00th edition of One Network News - 1:20 in the video), 1999 (2:24) and 2004 (4:27 - with my favourite version of the theme. I sound like such a saddo saying that... Laughing)

Finally, some excerpts (0:17 onwards in the video) from the final edition of TVNZ News at 8, a nightly hour-long bulletin broadcast on short-lived commercial-free channel TVNZ 7, which was closed down after New Zealand's centre-right government pulled funding for it. Since the channel's closure, New Zealand has lacked any true public service TV.

Last edited by Woodpecker on 2 December 2018 11:52pm - 2 times in total
WW Update and liamfromnz gave kudos
WH
whoiam989
Primeiro Jornal from SIC in Portugal (as seen on SIC Internacional), on the day the channel changed its logo:

Quatorzine Neko and WW Update gave kudos
WW
WW Update
France 2's special coverage of the "yellow vest" protests and riots:

LL
London Lite Founding member

This was shown instead of the Sunday prime-time film last night. It was one of those typical French slick handovers from the main 20h bulletin straight into the Édition Speciale in the same studio.

The domestic news channels on Saturday replaced padded programming for rolling coverage of the protests.
WW
WW Update
A new compilation of CTV Morning Live intros from across Canada:

:-(
A former member
That CTV logo isn’t looking any less horrendous.
NE
Newsroom24
That CTV logo isn’t looking any less horrendous.

It needs to be updated so badly!
MO
Mouseboy33
I know. Ive always strongly disliked the CTV logo. Its not great. Well good news. THEY HAVE CHANGED IT! To this....
I was excited when i saw the link a few months ago and it turned out to be this. Ugh what a let down.

Underconsideration did a nice review of it.
https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_on_air_look_for_ctv_done_in_house.php

Yes that bottom pic is the ground level of the venerable ChumCity building in Toronto featuring the patented StreetFront Storefront broadcasting environments, the original home to Citytv. Now call MuchHQ after CTV (well their orignal owners) bought Chum (Citytv's parent company) and then kept all the other Chum channels and then sold Citytv to Rogers and sent Citytv packing from its own HQ. Severing ties it had to all the channels Citytv had created. Sad.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 4 December 2018 1:08pm - 3 times in total
WH
whoiam989
On a related note, here's a case study from Loyal Kaspar which designed the new identity:
http://www.loyalkaspar.com/work/ctv-case-study/
WW
WW Update
SABC, South Africa; news in Afrikaans, 2002:

WW
WW Update

This was shown instead of the Sunday prime-time film last night. It was one of those typical French slick handovers from the main 20h bulletin straight into the Édition Speciale in the same studio.

The domestic news channels on Saturday replaced padded programming for rolling coverage of the protests.

And here's a similar special from France 3:

Newer posts