TV Home Forum

ITV are now eyeing up STV

ITV will not have a easy ride like UTV.... (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:

Only after Ofcom approval and that far from a done deal

Wouldn't that be likely - they could say it would make the local news more relevant as England and Scotland increasingly have different laws and problems and less that is the same. Plus the BBC follow the same pattern.

Your saying there should replace three separate news programmes in to one for Scotland ? Madness

They could keep the oppt outs - but an single STV brand for scotland and shared coverage of Scottish poltics and pan Scottish news.
Last edited by BM11 on 29 November 2018 11:56pm
JM
JamesM0984
ITV has deeper pockets to invest properly for the long term.

This. Has the average UTV viewer had a better service under ITV? I'd say so. It wasn't a political hoohah in NI. Holyrood may kick off a little but it would die down pretty quickly.

Without derailing into politics, it actually puts ITV Scotland In a stronger position if independence actually happens; giving the Scottish franchise access to the ITV Network Schedule is an easier thing to do if the company is part of ITV Plc in the first place, rather than the current affiliation setup where it would be "easier" to argue that STV Group should acquire English programmes from ITV in the way any other foreign broadcaster might.
MA
Markymark
Though that didn't stop ITV hiving them off from the Granada region anyway (apart from the immediate Deeside area perhaps).

No, I wonder if they (ITV Ltd) were leaned upon by Ofcom to do that, as part of the licence split separating
'West' from 'Wales' ?
RI
Riaz
My suspicion is that an STV takeover by ITV paves the way for ITV to be put up for sale. ITV will be a far more attractive company to a buyer with Scotland than without.
WH
what
Riaz posted:
My suspicion is that an STV takeover by ITV paves the way for ITV to be put up for sale. ITV will be a far more attractive company to a buyer with Scotland than without.

My suspicion is Liberty Global will be looking at them closer than ever.
JM
JamesM0984
I think this is why such a transaction hasn't happened - yet. If you've got the whole lot it's a much easier sell.

Also, with a single ITV it's arguably easier to do what the BBC didn't and do a Scottish Six (or Six Thirty!) - Iogistically it's then easier to share the network correspondents and reports, things like that. It would certainly be very interesting.
Last edited by JamesM0984 on 2 December 2018 3:54pm
ME
melter
Riaz posted:

ITV owning STV wouldn't make it that more attractive to a buyer.

ITV plc's market cap of £5.7bn dwarfs STV Group's £134m
ME
melter
A £200m ITV bid for Scottish television network STV is 'inevitable', says investor with big stake

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-6450337/Largest-shareholder-STV-slaps-200m-price-tag-company-amid-takeover-rumours.html

Crystal Amber have pretty much named their price to ITV plc to sell their stake. If Threadneedle agree with this price, then STV Group plc could well be sold in the not too distant future.
RI
Riaz
ITV owning STV wouldn't make it that more attractive to a buyer.

ITV plc's market cap of £5.7bn dwarfs STV Group's £134m

It's a convenience game more than a numbers game. Imagine you were a foreign media corporation looking to buy ITV. It's a lot more convenient to you if ITV covers all of Britain rather than (the major) part of it and you don't have to faff about supplying networked programmes to a separate company, namely STV.
JM
JamesM0984
This. A single ITV is an easier sell as the incoming owners don't need to faff about with a 3rd party.
HC
Hatton Cross
what posted:
Riaz posted:

Although, I do wonder if ITV would prefer a bidding war over itself, rather than just the one vulture circling.

If STV is sold to ITV, and if Liberty Global does launch a bid and win - given what we've seen over the other side of the Irish Sea - does any Ofcom rules on channel names rule out ITV becoming VM3 over here?
JO
Jonwo
what posted:
Riaz posted:

Although, I do wonder if ITV would prefer a bidding war over itself, rather than just the one vulture circling.

If STV is sold to ITV, and if Liberty Global does launch a bid and win - given what we've seen over the other side of the Irish Sea - does any Ofcom rules on channel names rule out ITV becoming VM3 over here?

The ITV brand is very strong it's very unlikely it'd rebrand.

Newer posts