The Newsroom

President George HW Bush dies

(December 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
Presume LA handled the CBS announcement given the time it came out and the time difference - guess they would have been more ready than their colleagues on the east coast?

Yes, and given the hour their LA station and a KCBS anchor handled it.
RK
Rkolsen
Thought I’d respond to these four.
The ABC News Special Report graphics are a bit odd, aren't they? Doesn't seem the most tasteful to reveal breaking news in the opening titles...

And what was the set-up with the CBS Special report - CBS2 graphics on the screens behind the presenter and she identified herself as from CBS2 (although perhaps a slip of the tongue) at the end of the bulletin? Presumably CBS2 is the local affiliate in Los Angeles, but if so why did they do the announcement on 'network' as such?

ABC and all the networks have done that on occasion for deaths, ABC more so. As long as it’s a tasteful graphic with a good picture of the person, the name and years are right I think it’s fine.

From what I’ve seen from CBS 2 is that there’s actually a third monitor and they rotate between aerial video of Los Angeles and the logos of whatever station is on air (KCBS has a independent sister station, KCAL 9, which airs 32 hours of news in addition to KCBS’ 30 hours). I imagine whoever was in the local control room realized that it wouldn’t look good and changed it. I’m guessing they may not have had a graphic of the plain CBS, CBS News or the Special Report logo in the system or made up quick enough. I’m not sure whether the local KCBS/KCAL team handled the whole production of the report aside from providing the talent, camera and someone to roll the prompter.

The NBC and CBS graphics also reveal the news before the newscaster has actually announced it, which I can understand on a rolling news channel but for prepared special reports I feel they should hold back until after they’ve told the news.

That’s typical of the average Special Report with the graphics showing why they’re breaking in. In reality what’s the difference between the graphic showing that and the five to ten seconds it would take the presenter for saying why they’re breaking in? All networks do this with the lower third on screen from the second the opening ends.

Former President Bush Sr has died, the announcement was made at 5am UK time, 1am EST. Of the little I've been able to see, CNN interrupted a package with the usual Breaking News routine, while Fox News seems to have gone into a more formal obit mode, with the presenter dressed in black and a black version of the logo.

I watched the Fox Network SR and the logo wasn’t black.

BM11 posted:
The Announcement might have been embargoed as the Sky News push notification was Timed to 4.59am when the BBC followed at 5.02am.

From what I’ve read there wasn’t any embargo. If there was the networks would have been ready and on air as soon as it was lifted. From what I understand very little news in the US is embargoed.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Former President Bush Sr has died, the announcement was made at 5am UK time, 1am EST. Of the little I've been able to see, CNN interrupted a package with the usual Breaking News routine, while Fox News seems to have gone into a more formal obit mode, with the presenter dressed in black and a black version of the logo.

Thought I was going crazy because every video I found had the blue Fox News Channel logo, until I saw this one:

Though I have no idea if that might just be a usual logo for simulcasts on the network and nothing to do with the news.
Last edited by Blake Connolly on 1 December 2018 9:39pm
RK
Rkolsen
[quote="Blake Connolly" pid="1143358"]
Quote:

Thought I was going crazy because every video I found had the blue Fox News Channel logo, until I saw this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-1MC-ejmY

Though I have no idea if that might just be a usual logo for simulcasts on the network and nothing to do with the news.

I have literally no idea. It appears the channel was blue while the broadcast side was black.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 1 December 2018 9:44pm
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Presumably they use a different logo on the broadcast network that doesn't spin between "LIVE" and "channel" at the bottom, given you're not watching the news channel. Maybe?
MO
Mouseboy33
The ABC News Special Report graphics are a bit odd, aren't they? Doesn't seem the most tasteful to reveal breaking news in the opening titles...

And what was the set-up with the CBS Special report - CBS2 graphics on the screens behind the presenter and she identified herself as from CBS2 (although perhaps a slip of the tongue) at the end of the bulletin? Presumably CBS2 is the local affiliate in Los Angeles, but if so why did they do the announcement on 'network' as such?

Sharon Tay is indeed a anchor for KCBS Los Angeles (CBS2). https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/personality/sharon-tay/Rather than rumble someone at CBS News HQ in LA, its likely they directed KCBS to handle the Network announcement for the record. It made sense because KCBS was still fully staffed and extremely capable of handling such an announcement. CBS HQ in NY likely typed up the script and already had the package ready to go and Sharon Tay was simply used to intro the package. CBS News is a frugal operation, so it made sense to do it this way instead of firing up the network studio in HQ when they had staff in LA to do what would have been done at CBS NY HQ.
JU
Justin

Sharon Tay is indeed a anchor for KCBS Los Angeles (CBS2). https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/personality/sharon-tay/Rather than rumble someone at CBS News HQ in LA, its likely they directed KCBS to handle the Network announcement for the record. It made sense because KCBS was still fully staffed and extremely capable of handling such an announcement. CBS HQ in NY likely typed up the script and already had the package ready to go and Sharon Tay was simply used to intro the package. CBS News is a frugal operation, so it made sense to do it this way instead of firing up the network studio in HQ when they had staff in LA to do what would have been done at CBS NY HQ.

I'm sure this will be taken as a snub by the people at CBSN, especially when it seems they did a better job -- the LA anchor didn't seem to have an autocue ready when they went on air.
NY
NYTV

From what I understand, CBS News protocol is that should news break overnight, the CBS LA team and the KCBS/KCAL staff handle the coverage until the CBSN/CBS Overnight News staff take over
NY
NYTV
Presumably they use a different logo on the broadcast network that doesn't spin between "LIVE" and "channel" at the bottom, given you're not watching the news channel. Maybe?

They do have different logos. Previously, for simulcasts airing on Fox stations, they would use the original Fox News logo, which is black and red and is still used sparingly *, whereas the news channel has the blue/red logo
NY
NYTV

I'm sure this will be taken as a snub by the people at CBSN, especially when it seems they did a better job -- the LA anchor didn't seem to have an autocue ready when they went on air.

It's not a snub but network protocol that after 1am ET, overnight breaking news is handled by KCBS and the CBS News LA bureau until New York takes over.
MO
Mouseboy33
And it makes economical sense. CBS watches its pennies very closely especially in the news division. So it would imagine this is the best arrangement. This is probably the most high profile example of this arrangement in use.
RK
Rkolsen
Here’s this afternoons NBC Special Report where President George H W Bush arriving in Washington DC. It ended after about two hours but this video has about an Edition hour of people viewing the casket. I have no clue who was the pooler, but the one or two aerial shots came from WRC the NBC station.

Locally here in Baltimore we had two anchors down from WBAL for local news and maybe hits for sister stations. Surprisingly none of the other local stations were there instead relying on network reports.

Edit: Here’s a live video of people paying their respects in the rotunda which will continue until 7 AM Wednesday morning.

And here’s the departure ceremony, starts with footage of the hearse and the SR starts at 48:42 in.

The CBS SR.

Last edited by Rkolsen on 4 December 2018 5:41am - 2 times in total

Newer posts