TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas 2018

1st December. Split from Christmas Idents 2018 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WA
Warbler
Am I the only one who thinks the ident (for we've only seen one so far) isn't as bad as others seem to be making out? It's nice and wintry and cosy; definitely not 'depressing' as people are saying. I just hope there are variants for the daytime - the nighttime scene may look a little odd introducing Homes Under the Hammer, for example.
JK
JKDerry
Well ITV have not bothered once again, and have recycled their 2013 Christmas ident batch once again. We can moan about the quality and concept of the BBC One presentation, but at least they have done something, whereas ITV does sod all again.
AN
Andrew Founding member
With all due respect guys, we do take this a little seriously.

Watching it with my family and they all said "Wasn't that lovely".

That's the audience they're going for. Not us.

Indeed, it’s all across twitter how people are ‘filling up’ etc.

But for an ident to be used long after the film has stopped being shown, how is a pier at the seaside remotely Christmassy?
IS
Inspector Sands
They’ve lost the plot, unless you happen to live at the seaside, which the majority of the country doesn’t, who associates amusement arcades and seafront promenades with Christmas?

I don't think that's the point.

The seaside/funfair location gives two very different connotations. It's a place of fun and getting together with people, but it's also a very sad location. An out of season seaside resort or deserted funfair is a very depressing place, but at the same time it has a certain appeal and romance to it.

That's the juxtaposition - it's both a place of happiness and a place of sadness... the two emotions that the characters go through. Christmas is the thing that brings them together.

You're not meant to associate the seaside with Christmas, it's Christmas that brings the two together. The location is incidental, but chosen because of the emotional extremes it has.

Anyway, that's my reading of it after one viewing
AE
AlexEdohHD13
Christmas Tree ident into Dad's Army over on Two.

(That's a little confusing now as both channels have 'tree' idents)

At least the BBC Two one is more uplifting and less depressing IMO.
DB
dbl

It's done the job.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
You're not meant to associate the seaside with Christmas, it's Christmas that brings the two together. The location is incidental, but chosen because of the emotional extremes it has.

Haha, my reading was him asking his mum if she was going to go and see the Christmas tree lights being switched on at the pier - like they presumably do in seaside towns. Hence the Christmas tree in the text he sent, maybe it's a family tradition etc. Life was hectic, but they paused their day and it all worked out because they spent time together and saw the switch-on.
AN
Andrew Founding member
We just need to realise, we don’t get festive presentation anymore, we get a John Lewis style advert. The idents that follow are an after thought, as nobody reacts on twitter to an ident. (Well hardly anyone)
JO
Josh
Christmas on BBC One trailer after the Big Show and Bumper Cars sting.
:-(
A former member
Anyone spot the dodgem sting?
JO
Josh
Christmas Tree ident
JL
JamesLaverty1925
ident with everyone still frozen in time apart from Mother and Son in front of Christmas Tree. Actually a fairly nice ident, if just a little boring.

Newer posts