The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
A historical compilation of news intros used by France's ORTF from 1949 to 1975, when the broadcaster was broken up:

LL
London Lite Founding member
dvboy posted:
No need as it's free: http://europe.tv5monde.com/en/live

Thanks for that! Subtitles on the online stream are useful for when my French is really rusty.

Great to see at long last TV5MONDE Europe is 1080p as well. Molotov was the only other place where I could watch TV5MONDE FBS in HD.
WW
WW Update
The U.S. version of TV5MONDE (which has limited distribution) has English subtitles. I wonder why the European version doesn't -- at least as an option.

This is the channel's website, by the way:

http://usa.tv5monde.com/en
DV
dvboy
The U.S. version of TV5MONDE (which has limited distribution) has English subtitles. I wonder why the European version doesn't -- at least as an option.

The version on Sky had English subtitles for some programmes like dramas. You would access them in the same way as subtitles on any other channel and they were indicated in the EPG as such. At least online now you have a choice between English and French subs.
London Lite and WW Update gave kudos
NG
noggin Founding member
dvboy posted:

The version on Sky had English subtitles for some programmes like dramas. You would access them in the same way as subtitles on any other channel and they were indicated in the EPG as such. At least online now you have a choice between English and French subs.

Yes - I think some people assume non-English language content will have burned-in subtitles rather than optional ones.
LL
Only thing missing is a Chromecast option, so you can watch on a tv again if you have Sky or Virgin.

I wonder if FBS (France, Belgium, Switzerland) will also get a FTA online stream or if being on pay-tv platforms is still viable in Francophone Europe?
DV
dvboy
It's aimed at a Francophone audience so why should it carry burnt in English subtitles?

I've seen them use burnt in French subtitles very occasionally to translate other languages (including English) into French.
LL
I wonder if the TV5MONDE model isn't as viable as it used to be? With the ease of receiving the French TNT channels online, from which quite a bit of content from France Télévisions is on the channel, it may have seen a loss in viewership. (I have 1080p streams of the majority of the TNT channels)

Hardcore French tv viewers in the UK I suspect are like English-ex-pats in Europe in that they'll either go down the satellite route or IPTV.
WW
WW Update
dvboy posted:
It's aimed at a Francophone audience so why should it carry burnt in English subtitles?

You're right, there's no need for burned-in subtitles, but the optional English subtitles, if they are otherwise available, should certainly be promoted more heavily. They can be used to expand TV5MONDE's potential audience to:

* People who are interested in French culture but don't speak the language. Subtitled French movies draw large crowds in art-house cinemas, and cultural Francophiles are a sizable potential audience, while the number of native or near-native French speakers outside the four Francophone countries in Europe is limited.

* People who are learning French and are using TV5MONDE as a tool.

* People (like London Lite) who speak French but still appreciate subtitles in some contexts.

And English (as well as German or, say, Slovenian) subtitles can give TV5MONDE its long-term raison d'etre (see what I did there!), since the domestic French channels, even if they become widely available throughout Europe, will almost certainly never offer them.
Last edited by WW Update on 1 December 2018 4:31am - 3 times in total
WW
WW Update
Since we mentioned Corsica's bilingualism a few posts upthread, here's an interesting clip from the RAI station in Italy's bilingual Aosta Valley. The report on the regional newscast is in French, but it's introduced in Italian:

MI
mici0123
dvboy posted:
Wasn't really sure where to put this but it's sad to see TV5Monde has left Sky and is now online only in the UK.

It'll only encourage Francophiles and French ex-pats in the UK to either buy pirate IPTV or do what I do and use a Smart DNS and a sub to Molotov in France or Zattoo in Switzerland.

There is the legal Vision TV Network service which offers France 2, 3 and 5 alongside TV5MONDE, but isn't great value for money.

Or a dish aimed at 19e or 5w with a TNTsat or Fransat-Card posted from the relatives or bought on ebay.
WW
WW Update
From ZDF in Germany, a five-minute newscast at 5:35 p.m., 1981:

Newer posts