TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark

No, but rather like MicroSoft have with Ctl-Alt-Del, he's made it really popular

CTRL-Alt-Delete wasn't an MS initiative. It was actually part of the original IBM PC specification dating back to 1981 and outside of an operating system the BIOS responds to it (for a reboot). The only reason it became 'popular' at all was because it appeared prior to login on Windows machines; Bill Gates said years later it was a mistake, he wanted a key that was never added to the standard IBM PC keyboard.

Which was the point that Markymark was making, wasn't it?

Yus Cool
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

No, but rather like MicroSoft have with Ctl-Alt-Del, he's made it really popular

CTRL-Alt-Delete wasn't an MS initiative. It was actually part of the original IBM PC specification dating back to 1981 and outside of an operating system the BIOS responds to it (for a reboot). The only reason it became 'popular' at all was because it appeared prior to login on Windows machines; Bill Gates said years later it was a mistake, he wanted a key that was never added to the standard IBM PC keyboard.

I interpreted Marky's post as suggesting CTRL+ALT+DEL was a Microsoft idea. Which it wasn't. Windows did respond to it as early as Windows 3.0 but as Windows became the most popular operating system over the years and found its way into corporate networks the entire concept took off from there.
NG
noggin Founding member

Yes.
MA
Markymark

I interpreted Marky's post as suggesting CTRL+ALT+DEL was a Microsoft idea.

No. In fact the line I used, was used by one of IBM's design engineers, to have a gentle a dig at MS.
BA
Bail Moderator
Ok... I won't snip all that out, but back to the topic at hand now please...

13 days later

TV
TVFan2017
Unsure if this has been posted anywhere but there's quite a good insight to ITV at Television Centre in this recent video:

Last edited by TVFan2017 on 24 November 2018 3:18pm
JK
JKDerry
Studio 2 and 3 will now be the home of ITV Daytime for the foreseeable future, unless BBC Studioworks hike the sublet fees and ITV decide to move somewhere cheaper in five years time.
IS
Inspector Sands
Studio 2 and 3 will now be the home of ITV Daytime for the foreseeable future, unless BBC Studioworks hike the sublet fees and ITV decide to move somewhere cheaper in five years time.

Or they just change their property strategy again
JK
JKDerry

Or they just change their property strategy again

I think Television Centre and BBC Studioworks are very happy to have ITV Daytime as a long term permanent booking. It makes them money every year, and brings ITV stability for those four programmes each weekday.
IS
Inspector Sands

I think Television Centre and BBC Studioworks are very happy to have ITV Daytime as a long term permanent booking. It makes them money every year, and brings ITV stability for those four programmes each weekday.

I'm sure they are at the moment, but that doesn't mean that ITV won't suddenly decide they want the big HQ with everyone under the same roof again. As I've said before I can see them doing that bit of the original plan even if it's not at the South Bank
Lou Scannon, buster and Jonwo gave kudos
XQ
XQD
There's quite a commotion internally about the cancelled return to the Southbank. The new strategy; 'ITV - not just TV' is coming down hard on all areas of the business and I think the next year or so will be very interesting.
IS
Inspector Sands
'Not just TV'? After having divested all of their non TV assets and buying up lots of TV production companies? Rolling Eyes

It can't be good for moral, long term strategy or corporate pride for everything to be so up in the air and temporary
Night Thoughts and Lou Scannon gave kudos

Newer posts