TV Home Forum

ITV Programming Thread

2017 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
If only ITV could this effort into their Christmas idents, instead of reusing the 2013 batch over and over again.
KE
kernow
It's such a shame that the 2012 Christmas idents were only able to be used once, as they were a great set of idents, and far superior to what they've been using since 2013.

ToasterMan, fanoftv and DE88 gave kudos
DE
DE88
Well, at least BBC2 will have some new Christmas idents this year for the first time since 2011... Smile Wink
WH
Whataday Founding member
It's such a shame that the 2012 Christmas idents were only able to be used once, as they were a great set of idents, and far superior to what they've been using since 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4MsQdzaZmA

The current ITV logo would sit nicely at the end of that ident.

The Dancing On Ice ad is my favourite - although they've shot themselves in the foot slightly by disabling comments on YouTube, which will hinder its chances of going viral due to upsetting the algorithms. I don't quite know why ITV insist on doing that, even on clips which invite viewer debates.

Also, I was going to say it could have done without the generic promo end, to match the fact that it's more than your average promo and then I saw they've actually done a special ending for other formats:

BR
Brekkie
That just makes you smile. I said last year they should have used the promo as the basis for their idents over Christmas and it would work this year, though a bit more blatant to promote a "second" series rather than a return of an old winter favourite.
FA
fanoftv
I totally agree Brekkie, they have a loveable pair of characters in the trailer with such life like design that could add loveable winter charm to idents, break bumpers, endboards & ecps too; I’m assuming that we’ll have the same Christmas idents again, but I would love to be pleasantly surprised. Well done to all involved in creating a wonderful trailer.
TO
tomo359
I would love to see the theme of the promo continued with christmas idents, they could introduce a couple of new characters as well and it could become something that evolves slightly each year. Would be a great way to have a change from the standard idents for a few weeks but still have some sort of continuity as people will associate it with ITV and DOI together.
CR
Critique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4MsQdzaZmA

On the contrary, I really wasn't a fan of the Christmas idents in 2012 and much prefer the festive themed idents they've had since 2013, even if they aren't anything out of the ordinary. Thought these used an odd logo placement and looked a little cheap - note at the end of the ident above the motion slows down suddenly (as if they hadn't animated enough to fit the 30 seconds. I seem to also remember an ident that year (think they used it before the news) where the animation would suddenly start to play in reverse because again they didn't seem to have got long enough idents for what then needed!

39 days later

TI
tightrope78
Not sure if this is the best place to put this (as there is no current Emmerdale thread).

Happy birthday to Shelia Mercier who played matriarch Annie Sugden on Emmerdale. Today is her 100th birthday!

DE88, NicB1971 and Colm gave kudos
NB
NicB1971
Great to hear that she is still with us but sad that the series has gone to the dogs like Coronation Street due to too many episodes being made. That last picture as Annie Sugden makes her look like Catherine Tate's gran (with sincere apologies to Mrs Mercier) Embarassed
BR
Brekkie
Gone to the dogs is a bit harsh. Emmerdale has probably been the strongest soap over the last couple of years and I believe now overtaken EastEnders in the ratings.
JM
JamesM0984
That's an impressive innings and great to hear she's still with us. Especially when you consider how few of the original EastEnders cast are still alive.

Emmerdale isn't as strong as it was in the 90s when it was truly must-see TV, but certainly the last 25 years of its life it's been fairly strong. Remember, it started out as a daytime serial, and it took a good 5 years after the axing of Crossroads before it really took over the position of ITV's second soap. Carlton wanted to drop it in London in 1993 and it's credit to YTV that they fought for it. I still maintain the plane crash has never been bettered by any soap - even Corrie's team crash didn't come close.

I do agree though if you watch those 90s episodes now, they're better for churning out just 2, later 3 episodes a week. They used to do a much touted "Emmerdale week" two or three times a year for really BIG storylines (ISTR Kim Tate's return from the dead to cause Frank's death was an hour long ep on a Friday, displacing Corrie!) That made much more of an "event" for the big moments whereas Kim's return last year almost kind of got lost.

Newer posts