(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
deleted
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 16 November 2018 1:11am - 4 times in total
CA
cat
A better idea might’ve been to give them an area in Victoria Tower Gardens as part of the work done to build the Education Centre. Could’ve given a direct route into the Palace via the Lords

I worked in Parliament for several years - someone once told me there was a tiny (long gone) BBC radio studio as part of the “wall” on the Green, but I could never figure out where it would’ve been. Anyone know if that’s true?
RO
rob Founding member

SJ
sjhoward
I see this evening that Sky News has now sprouted an annoying flashing "#MAKEDEBATESHAPPEN" bug in the top-level of the screen.

It strikes me as a bit confused that Sky continually plug one view on general election debates with no alternative view for balance, while also campaigning for a Parliamentary debate because they presumably recognise there to be multiple points of view to reconcile.

I also haven't seen them refer to the Government response on air once, despite hearing constantly about their Government petition, which again hardly screams "balance".

I do wonder if this particular campaign might creep across an Ofcom line given that it is encouraging people directly to petition against a Government position.
LH
lhx1985
Quote:
I also haven't seen them refer to the Government response on air once, despite hearing constantly about their Government petition, which again hardly screams "balance".

I do wonder if this particular campaign might creep across an Ofcom line given that it is encouraging people directly to petition against a Government position.

They're not reporting it as 'news' so I think it passes the test - ditto Ocean Rescue.

The govt. doesn't (yet) have a position on debates anyhow so it's not campaigning against the govt policy - and presumably govt wouldn't like to be forced into having one yet, either way.

If you listen to the live-read they tell that they need 100,000 signatures so get a response from the govt.... so you haven't heard the govt's response for reasons they have already explained (several times per hour).
BA
bilky asko
Quote:

They're not reporting it as 'news' so I think it passes the test - ditto Ocean Rescue.

The govt. doesn't (yet) have a position on debates anyhow so it's not campaigning against the govt policy - and presumably govt wouldn't like to be forced into having one yet, either way.

If you listen to the live-read they tell that they need 100,000 signatures so get a response from the govt.... so you haven't heard the govt's response for reasons they have already explained (several times per hour).

10,000 is for a response, 100,000 is to be considered for a debate in Parliament.

The government response was:

Quote:
This response was given on 23 October 2018

Televised election debates are a matter for political parties. The Government has no plans to change electoral law to make the debates mandatory.

The proposals for a Debates Commission are something to be considered in due course by political parties, closer to any general election in 2022.

Televised election debates took place in the 2010, 2015 and 2017 UK Parliamentary general elections. They form one of many mediums that enable political parties to convey their message to members of the public and address key challenges.

Televised election debates are not mandatory under electoral law. Participating in a televised election debate is down to the discretion of the political party invited to debate. The Government has no plans to change electoral law to make televised elections debates mandatory.

There are many mediums used by political parties to convey their message to members of the public. These include candidate hustings and political canvassing, which enables electoral candidates to debate policies and directly address members of the public in the run up to an election. These are also not mandatory under electoral law.

Any televised material, including televised election debates, is regulated by Ofcom, the independent media regulator, and is subject to the provisions in the Broadcasting Code. Ofcom does not obligate broadcasters to transmit election debates, nor does it have any decision-making role over the editorial format of any programme.

Cabinet Office
LH
lhx1985
Oh! I stand corrected. My bad on that, good point.
SL
Shaun Linden
"In the event that TV debates are adopted, a leaders' debate commission would set the criteria for party participation, the objectivity of the audience, debate formats and dates, rules and the moderators."

And you're telling me now every political party and broadcaster will agree to all that- it'll lead into a never ending debate in itself.
TT
TTRWE
They've hit the 100,000 number, having that flashing graphic in the top left is ridiculous and is detracting from the coverage of what is on TV and getting in the way. People said that in the past graphics take away from the news coverage and it was bad, this is far worse.

I'm sick to death of seeing it mentioned and graphics about it all of the time and it's really tiresome.
Jeffmister, richard h and derek500 gave kudos

8 days later

BF
BFGArmy
TTRWE posted:
They've hit the 100,000 number, having that flashing graphic in the top left is ridiculous and is detracting from the coverage of what is on TV and getting in the way. People said that in the past graphics take away from the news coverage and it was bad, this is far worse.

I'm sick to death of seeing it mentioned and graphics about it all of the time and it's really tiresome.

You'll be pleased to hear the Make Debates Happen Debate Happens in Parliament on 7th January - which I'm sure Sky will get excited out.
SK
skyviewer
At least you know now which channel not to watch for the next week's. I still have a bit of hope things will improve on February 5.
Last edited by skyviewer on 7 December 2018 11:42pm
BBI45, derek500 and watchingtv gave kudos
SC
scarbados
At least you know now which channel not to watch for the next week's. I still have a bit of hope things will improve on February 5.

What's happening on February 5th?

Newer posts