« Topics
Alex Plain-Later (previously Austin Tatious) 1,026 posts since 1 Jan 2016
HTV West Points West
If somebody had blurted out "West", would Les have given them "HTV West"?!

Did the contestant genuinely have some notion of TVS but couldn't quite remember the exact name, or were they literally just saying a compass direction on a "wild stab in the dark" basis, I wonder?

The pedantry of e.g. Pointless is *exactly* the standard of accuracy that any kind of quiz should have, otherwise it is wholly inadequate.
I'm still a European.
p_c_u_k gave kudos
Neil Jones5,136 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
I read somewhere that the people they asked for the surveys were actually the show's studio audience. So no wonder they'd pick Central seeing as they were at their studios!

Isn't that still the case for Pointless?

No Pointless uses a polling company

Some shows make it blatantly obvious where their answers have come from. Blankety Blank is the obvious example here. Other shows make a point that they've actually gone out and asked people (Play Your Cards Right in the revived 90s version made a big deal out of it, stressing all the polls were genuine).

At the other end of the scale... quiz TV and their cryptic clues leading to a four digit answer - how one got to them was never explained.
DE88 gave kudos
Andrew13,480 posts since 27 Mar 2001
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

Did the contestant genuinely have some notion of TVS but couldn't quite remember the exact name, or were they literally just saying a compass direction on a "wild stab in the dark" basis, I wonder?

The pedantry of e.g. Pointless is *exactly* the standard of accuracy that any kind of quiz should have, otherwise it is wholly inadequate.

Were what the initials of TVS stood for in common usage back then, or was it basically just TVS to 99% of people, like HTV.

If they’d have said West, he would have said “West? You mean Westward, which is now known as TSW. TSW our survey said...”
Alex Plain-Later gave kudos
kernow1,199 posts since 18 Jan 2006

Were what the initials of TVS stood for in common usage back then, or was it basically just TVS to 99% of people, like HTV.

If they’d have said West, he would have said “West? You mean Westward, which is now known as TSW. TSW our survey said...”

The on-screen identity was originally just TVS, from 1982-1987.

They then added "Television South" to the idents from 1987-1989 (below the TVS logo).

It then became "TVS Television" from 1989-1992.

So it was known on-screen as "Television South" at one point, but only for a short period.
Neil Jones5,136 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
let's be frank, it's a gameshow, its not life or death as in 'The answer on my card is Yorkshire, not York. Eat lead and die, <insert suitable profanity here>". And yes, Pointless would probably not given it, neither would University Challenge (and that sort of question would now be seen as national history!) but it may have just scraped through as a 'I get what you're saying' on the open question segments of Tipping Point and Chase. Sometimes the network its on plays a part too.
nwtv20038,328 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today

If you had asked the public the question in 1990 then the top three answers (in no particular order) would probably have been Thames, TV AM, and UTV. If that was the outcome then the fourth most popular answer would have been a very distant fourth.

If you'd asked the public, they wouldn't have even heard of UTV (or even STV for that matter) for the most part I'm sure.

More likely the answers would have been TV-am, Thames and Granada. At the time Granada still had a reputation for being PSB-focused and very tied to the "North".

Depending on where you lived, I imagine many people didn't know the names of most of the ITV franchises apart from their own and the ones in the neighbouring areas. Seeing end boards from TV shows might have meant production companies to them rather than region names.

Reminds me that there was apparently a vox pop on the ‘First Night on Meridian’ programme where they were asking members of the public what they would like from their new ITV station, one woman saying on the lines of as long as Coronation Street is still on I don’t really care. I think that was the general consensus, let’s face it ITV’s didn’t drop on 1st January 1993 did they?

And certainly there are some or have been some who call ITV, Channel 3 or by the old old name, such as Southern or Westward. Although not the same, you still hear GMTV referenced to these days.
steve
steviegTVreturns
Whataday9,780 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today

They then added "Television South" to the idents from 1987-1989 (below the TVS logo).

So it was known on-screen as "Television South" at one point, but only for a short period.

It won the franchise as TV South, and that's what the S stands for, so accepting South is no different to accepting London Weekend. They no doubt would have accepted Harlech also, had HTV been an answer.

Would have been more controversial to deny South in my opinion.

There's no excuse for accepting York TV though.
VMPhil9,428 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today

Rolling Eyes

This sort of thing ruptures my Common Sense Gland.

A bit like "ITV Channel TV" (or is it "ITV Channel Television"?) nowadays.

I think that was because of the (bad) decision to buy MTM Enterprises which saw the company restructured as TVS Entertainment with TVS Television as a subsidiary. Not sure why they decided to use the TVS Television name on screen though.
kernow1,199 posts since 18 Jan 2006

It won the franchise as TV South, and that's what the S stands for, so accepting South is no different to accepting London Weekend. They no doubt would have accepted Harlech also, had HTV been an answer.

Would have been more controversial to deny South in my opinion.

There's no excuse for accepting York TV though.

The main difference with LWT though is that it was originally known as "London Weekend", so was a perfectly valid answer, whereas "South" wasn't.

If they had just said "London" rather than "London Weekend", that would have been a completely different matter.
p_c_u_k2,069 posts since 27 Mar 2004
The issue for me (in as much as there is one) is her insistence that it's called York TV, despite Les desperately trying to nudge her the right way. Whereas the person who says South pretty much nods "that one" when Les says it, and technically it is Television South anyway. Same for London Weekend (Television).

ITV stations are a bit awkward like that. You're into the territory of what would have happened if someone had said STV.