« Topics
Lwt news weekend did get one last series from october to xmas.

Which programme is this? LWT Weekend news does not ring any bells with me.

Its was LWT Sunday news review programme ( with more in depth reports), going out around 12.30? Anna marie ashe presented it along side Ed Boyle
Riaz561 posts since 6 Jan 2016
If somebody told you in 1990 that there would only be one surviving independent ITV company not absorbed into a near national ITV company in 2018, and that company is not LWT or Channel, then would you have been able to work out or correctly guess that it is STV?
JKDerry1,454 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
UTV have themselves to blame. If they had not had such a big ego, and wanted to get into the Irish television market and compete against the giant RTE and well known TV3, with UTV Ireland then they would have not gotten into this mess in the first place.

If they have concentrated on Northern Ireland and their franchise, they would have remained truly independent with STV in Scotland, but now in 2018, UTV has been minced by ITV.

They have the standard ITV regional news set and branding, and their idents are just the same as ITV except with UTV slapped on it. Which will be faded out by 2020 if not sooner.

Broadcasting Act of 1990 has a lot to stand trial for.
Most probably would have thought it was UTV.

If you had asked the public the question in 1990 then the top three answers (in no particular order) would probably have been Thames, TV AM, and UTV. If that was the outcome then the fourth most popular answer would have been a very distant fourth.
ttt459 posts since 15 Aug 2015

If you had asked the public the question in 1990 then the top three answers (in no particular order) would probably have been Thames, TV AM, and UTV. If that was the outcome then the fourth most popular answer would have been a very distant fourth.

If you'd asked the public, they wouldn't have even heard of UTV (or even STV for that matter) for the most part I'm sure.

More likely the answers would have been TV-am, Thames and Granada. At the time Granada still had a reputation for being PSB-focused and very tied to the "North".
PFMC841,451 posts since 28 Feb 2013
UTV Newsline

If you'd asked the public, they wouldn't have even heard of UTV (or even STV for that matter) for the most part I'm sure.

More likely the answers would have been TV-am, Thames and Granada. At the time Granada still had a reputation for being PSB-focused and very tied to the "North".

Depending on where you lived, I imagine many people didn't know the names of most of the ITV franchises apart from their own and the ones in the neighbouring areas. Seeing end boards from TV shows might have meant production companies to them rather than region names.
I suppose that things could have been evened out a bit by using a map of the regions complete with the logos of the ITV companies.

UTV may have been almost unheard of on the south coast, and almost nobody would actually be able to recall watching a UTV programme, but a combination of its obscurity and its geographic isolation in a politically contentious area might act in a way that encourages the public to conclude that it may well be the independent survivor.
Markymark6,520 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today

Depending on where you lived, I imagine many people didn't know the names of most of the ITV franchises apart from their own and the ones in the neighbouring areas. Seeing end boards from TV shows might have meant production companies to them rather than region names.

Newspaper listings for ITV normally consisted of ITV London or Granada (depending whether the paper was printed in the south or north), and then regions were listed with variations from London or Granada.
So folk were aware of ITV region names, although not really exactly sure where 'ATV' and 'HTV' were. (Much like the end boards I suppose!)
ttt459 posts since 15 Aug 2015

True, but the big 5 were names very much in the public conscience, as they saw the endcaps (and frontcaps a couple of years previously) every day. The smaller stations would not have registered unless the name was obviously tied to the area it came from (and 'Ulster' would have been cryptic to many more ignorant members of the public despite the very clear meaning), and the very small stations won't have even registered with people.

Yes, if people were made to sit down for ten minutes to see how the system worked they might have come to the conclusion that UTV was the potential stand-out, but even that would depend on an understanding of NI politics which, as Brexit has demonstrated (sorry Asa but it is a relevant point in this case) many in the mainland simply don't have.