The Newsroom

Brexit Dramarama

UPDATE | Extension to 31st Jan 2020 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FG
FraserGJ
I'd argue it wasn't ever 'breaking' - if it's anything it should be a "News Alert"

I wasn't just referring to this, just in general anyway, far too often stuff is still "breaking" hours later.

Agreed, during the 2-3 hours at most is probably sufficient for most stories, some stories like companies publishing their yearly profits - an hour is probably plenty.

One exception might be stories breaking overnight, those would still be breaking by those waking up.

More generally, once the average person is aware of it and its no longer breaking. Unfortunately you have the casual viewer factor, those not watching news channels for extended periods.

Push notifications on apps might be a solution for this going forward though.
AS
AlexS
I'd argue it wasn't ever 'breaking' - if it's anything it should be a "News Alert"

I wasn't just referring to this, just in general anyway, far too often stuff is still "breaking" hours later.

Agreed, during the 2-3 hours at most is probably sufficient for most stories, some stories like companies publishing their yearly profits - an hour is probably plenty.

One exception might be stories breaking overnight, those would still be breaking by those waking up.

More generally, once the average person is aware of it and its no longer breaking. Unfortunately you have the casual viewer factor, those not watching news channels for extended periods.

Push notifications on apps might be a solution for this going forward though.

It really depends on time of day. Companies profits probably should be a few hours considering it tends to be a 7am announcement when many are travelling and not keeping up with what's going on.
SP
Steve in Pudsey

Does the embargo on a press release expiring count as breaking?
TI
TIGHazard

I saw this online, so I don't know if it's real or not, but it's on Business Insider so it probably is.

itsrobert, BBI45 and Brekkie gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen

Does the embargo on a press release expiring count as breaking?

Probably because it’s not known or released to the public (or sometimes the press) then.

I saw this online, so I don't know if it's real or not, but it's on Business Insider so it probably is.

Yes, it was real. It got a lot of traction on twitter. I’d change that to “News Alert” but that’s what Fox News uses so I doubt CNN would do that.
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet
I'm sorry but your sign off is wrong.
It's you're not your.

I know what you mean though Rolling Eyes

I'll get my coat.
RK
Rkolsen
It's you're not your.

I'll get my coat.

Are you referring to my signature? I copied it straight from a mug/t-shirt/tweets/posters that went viral. But I see what you’re saying your is a possession where you’re is a contraction meaning well you are.
FU
fusionlad Founding member
It's you're not your.

I'll get my coat.

Are you referring to my signature? I copied it straight from a mug/t-shirt/tweets/posters that went viral. But I see what you’re saying your is a possession where you’re is a contraction meaning well you are.

Did you Google that?
RK
Rkolsen
It's you're not your.

I'll get my coat.

Did you Google that?

No. I was recalling the homonym. I was being lazy when I copied my signature.
MA
Markymark

Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when your a PKG.

Your signature still has the incorrect grammar though

Eats, Shoots & Leaves
RK
Rkolsen

Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when your a PKG.

Your signature still has the incorrect grammar though

Eats, Shoots & Leaves

Oh crap I was too busy focusing on the first one and missed the second. I take it that’s all. Thanks. Shocked
BM
BM11
https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1066688701059792901
Preparations for the coming weeks are underway.
Could we see BBC1 airing a news channel simulcast for the end of the debate and the vote? And a newflash on ITV prehaps?
Last edited by BM11 on 25 November 2018 1:57pm - 2 times in total

Newer posts