The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
The Sunday late news is effectively a continuation of the Mon-Fri News at Ten, no? Generally consistent on the presenter front, most weeks airing at a fixed time, and using the 10 branding etc. If the Saturday teatime news were to air at 6pm, they still probably wouldn't use the Six branding I'd have thought, but this is a proper bulletin, and the longest one they do at weekends I think? They even use the #BBCNewsTen hashtag on screen as with the weekday bulletins.

Yes, Paul Royall who is Editor of the Six and Ten is also in charge of the late Sunday news. Just out of interest, who is chief in charge of the other weekend bulletins?
NB
NicB1971
It is utterly stupid, and waste of licence-payers' money, having a simulcast of BBC News Channel on BBC One when they bring in a more "senior" newsreader, displacing the NC presenter for 10 to 15 minutes just because the bulletin is being broadcast on BBC One. In terms of the cost-saving exercise the BBC has supposed to have undertaken, why don't they get rid of some of the dead wood newsreaders/reporters such as Reeta Chakrabarti. They got rid of Moira Stuart because she was just a "news reader" rather than a journalist yet she was far better than Reeta, Carole Walker or the god-awful gurning drones on BBC Breakfast.

Also, why do they have to drag out the TOTH sequence? Why not just titles, with a montage of images of the day, then the bulletin rather than a minute or more of droning preamble/headlines... or are the headlines for the viewers with an attention span of a gnat?

The news theme needs a total refresh after almost 20 years, the constant thunderclaps, thumps and bleeps are pointless and add no gravitas to proceedings. The BBC is supposed to be the voice of authority (allegedly) so why don't they have a rousing yet short theme to match - and consistency across the regions in terms of titles, theme and set. Oh and why do regions have such awful fake backdrops? Do they not employ any decent set designers these days? I can never understand why ITN (sorry ITV News) do the same as well? Surely it's not rocket science to design a decent looking studio that's not going to cost stupid money.

I'll go and get out the right side of the bed now...! Zipper
AL
ALV
There were a few occasions where I’ve seen the NC execute the sequence perfectly when there’s a national bulletin at 17:05. On one of the weekends the TOTH started with no headlines but straight to the long NC title that doesn’t feature the newsroom pan. After the titles the NC presenter stood on the catwalk and introduced a quick short story. After the story played out, they went to the filler and to the national bulletin with the full headlines.

It’s frustrating that the gallery hasn’t developed a “standard of procedure” for these kinds of simulcast beginning at :05, making it all messy for the viewers and for the staffs. Rolling Eyes
TR
TROGGLES
Who forgot wind diffusers on mics this morning on Victorias programmes Laughing
BA
bilky asko
why don't they get rid of some of the dead wood newsreaders/reporters such as Reeta Chakrabarti

Because they disagree with you?
MA
Markymark
Simon McCoy must be getting slightly advanced 'mix-minus' in his earpiece, because whenever they cut back to him after a report he's already started talking ?
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet
It is utterly stupid, and waste of licence-payers' money, having a simulcast of BBC News Channel on BBC One when they bring in a more "senior" newsreader, displacing the NC presenter for 10 to 15 minutes just because the bulletin is being broadcast on BBC One. In terms of the cost-saving exercise the BBC has supposed to have undertaken, why don't they get rid of some of the dead wood newsreaders/reporters such as Reeta Chakrabarti. They got rid of Moira Stuart because she was just a "news reader" rather than a journalist yet she was far better than Reeta, Carole Walker or the god-awful gurning drones on BBC Breakfast.

Also, why do they have to drag out the TOTH sequence? Why not just titles, with a montage of images of the day, then the bulletin rather than a minute or more of droning preamble/headlines... or are the headlines for the viewers with an attention span of a gnat?

The news theme needs a total refresh after almost 20 years, the constant thunderclaps, thumps and bleeps are pointless and add no gravitas to proceedings. The BBC is supposed to be the voice of authority (allegedly) so why don't they have a rousing yet short theme to match - and consistency across the regions in terms of titles, theme and set. Oh and why do regions have such awful fake backdrops? Do they not employ any decent set designers these days? I can never understand why ITN (sorry ITV News) do the same as well? Surely it's not rocket science to design a decent looking studio that's not going to cost stupid money.

Whoa there!
Given that the News Channel runs constantly the longer TOTH before the bulletins give them a chance to 'catch up' if say the weather over/under-runs. The main schedule is planned to the second so somewhere else has to take up and changes caused by live programming.
Unless they are totally separate there's no way round it.
As regards Sets and Presenters as much as you might not like what you see it's down to cost.
AS
AlexS

Whoa there!
Given that the News Channel runs constantly the longer TOTH before the bulletins give them a chance to 'catch up' if say the weather over/under-runs. The main schedule is planned to the second so somewhere else has to take up and changes caused by live programming.
Unless they are totally separate there's no way round it.
As regards Sets and Presenters as much as you might not like what you see it's down to cost.

I think you are so desperate to disagree with people that you have completely changed what was said in the post you quoted. The TOTH refers to the headlines rather than the filler ads and countdown before the start of the bulletin. I really don't think it'd be impossible to get rid of the many clips during the headlines and reduce it back down to a 30ish second run through of the first few stories.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It's a difficult one. In an ideal world, BBC One should avoid scheduling the news at :05 or :10. Looking at Sunday's schedule the easiest option would have been to shorten the CiN highlights by 5 minutes.

Obviously there is a difference between the situation where sport overruns and there is no way to get back on schedule, but for it to be planned that way is poor.

I think the idea of using Studio D either to do the national bulletin or to decamp the NC (with London being done in E after the national) is one that they should look into for this scenario.
WO
Worzel
How did the ITV News channel manage back in the days of them sharing the same studio as the ITV1 bulletins?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Derbyshire's 'Brexit dates' puff was included in the back half hour of the 1 this afternoon, complete with Clive Myrie introducing someone off Love Island and the Mayor of Sheffield.

So much for keeping that nonsense between 10-11am only.
RO
rob Founding member
How did the ITV News channel manage back in the days of them sharing the same studio as the ITV1 bulletins?

They used to use either a second CSO studio, or the London Today studio.

Newer posts