The Newsroom

Anglia/East of England News Discussion

ITV News Anglia and Look East (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CR
Critique
Looking back the walk out of the studio was done live/as-live on each edition, but then there's a cut as they open the door to the gallery which is where the pre-recorded segment begins. In this segment you can see the studio camera they've dragged out into the lobby for the preceding live/as-live shot which is a nice bit of continuity though!
PC
Philip Cobbold
Out of interest, are the East and West editions done completely separately? I just watched the two side by side and obviously the backdrops are different throughout, but there are clearly bits which are identical. Presumably they prerecord one edition completely, do the second one live, but drop in bits from the first prerecord.
NG
noggin Founding member
Out of interest, are the East and West editions done completely separately? I just watched the two side by side and obviously the backdrops are different throughout, but there are clearly bits which are identical. Presumably they prerecord one edition completely, do the second one live, but drop in bits from the first prerecord.

The location reports are obviously shared - but all studio elements must presumably be repeated because the backdrops are different. Also - keep an eye on the script colour. I think one edition is on pink paper, the other on yellow - presumably a sensible decision to avoid confusion between shows.

46 days later

LL
London Lite Founding member
On the East edition of ITV News Anglia this evening, Jonathan and Becky stood up by one of the screens to introduce the bulletin as well as the lead story, was this also the case on the West bulletin?
WO
Worzel
On the East edition of ITV News Anglia this evening, Jonathan and Becky stood up by one of the screens to introduce the bulletin as well as the lead story, was this also the case on the West bulletin?

Yes, and a one, two, three...

Lou Scannon and FanOfTV99 gave kudos

32 days later

ST
South Today
A busy day for Leigh Milner the lunchtime bulletin now the late bulletin. She also popped up on the sofa reporting on CiN events across the region. I can't understand why they just didn't let her have a crack at the main editon alongside Stewart, as he was flying solo this evening.
WO
Worzel
A busy day for Leigh Milner the lunchtime bulletin now the late bulletin. She also popped up on the sofa reporting on CiN events across the region. I can't understand why they just didn't let her have a crack at the main editon alongside Stewart, as he was flying solo this evening.

Oh goodie!
MI
m_in_m

Look East is frequently presented solo now when Susie or Stewart are off for a day or few. If they are off all week it seems to be covered.

Given Cambridge is solo presented it might end up going that way in Norwich in future - when one of them naturally leave.
ST
South Today

Look East is frequently presented solo now when Susie or Stewart are off for a day or few. If they are off all week it seems to be covered.

Given Cambridge is solo presented it might end up going that way in Norwich in future - when one of them naturally leave.

Split up Stewart and Susie?! I dread the thought!
MI
m_in_m

Split up Stewart and Susie?! I dread the thought!

Well at some point one of them will leave probably through retirement.
NG
noggin Founding member

Yes - I think many BBC English regions are moving back towards solo presentation. There was a move to double-heading when audience research suggested it was preferred (the Six O'Clock News moved to it too), but in times of cost reductions, it is cheaper to have a single presenter...
KE
kernow

Yes - I think many BBC English regions are moving back towards solo presentation. There was a move to double-heading when audience research suggested it was preferred (the Six O'Clock News moved to it too), but in times of cost reductions, it is cheaper to have a single presenter...

Which makes you wonder why so many ITV regions still have double-headed presentation for their 6pm weekday bulletins. Are there any regions which don't?

They went down the route of merging regions, axing sub-regions and sharing stories across regions to save money, but I think most viewers would prefer a single presenter if it meant getting a more local news service.

Newer posts