TV Home Forum

Children In Need 2018

A Night of fundraising again. (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BK
bkman1990
Yep. It was a great total.
TI
tightrope78
RDJ posted:
Just noticed on the EastEnders skit that the poster states that Pudsey is 38 years old next to the poster of Mickey Mouse which is 90.

Of course Pudsey is only 33 years old. The Telethon itself is 38 years old.

If we’re being pedantic then Children in Need actually started in 1927 as a 5 minute radio appeal.
JM
JamesM0984
Have to agree that Graham and Mel worked well together. Mel on her own isn't brilliant but with someone else to bounce off of as we saw on the Eurovision National Final back in February she's very sharp. And as stated upthread definitely a good pairing should the UK do the impossible and win the thing in the next few years.
IS
Inspector Sands
RDJ posted:

Of course Pudsey is only 33 years old. The Telethon itself is 38 years old.

Well he didn't start when he was a baby, did he? Cuh.

Yes, acccordng to his characters biog, Pudsey is a 5 year old bear
FA
fanoftv
The years seem to be all over the place. They now seem to say that Children in need started in 1980, with this being the 38th year, yet on the 7th year (of today’s reckoning) they introduced the telethon as being the 60th year, making the fundraiser older than Mickey Mouse

As for the telethon, it definitely picked up the pace when Graham and Mel took over. Rob Beckett helped during the later sessions too. As lovely and professional Tess & Ade are, it does pay to have a comedian/entertainment presenter.

The content was good, and similar to what we’ve expected. The possible highlight for me was Mel’s ‘showbiz’ performance. I was surprised to see the earlier comment saying that they should have more performances from the west end, something that I remember people on here used to complain about.
Last edited by fanoftv on 17 November 2018 12:40pm
:-(
A former member
Telethon is 38 years old, even then it took until 1987? To have the full night. Before that you had dallas or dw speical and even blanklty blank filling up the evening schedule. It was nothing like the thames affair or even itv.

The appeal did start in 1927 on radio and then xmas..

The bear only come in around 1985..
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The age of the telethon comes up regularly, the current TV appeal dates from 1980 but Wiki (backed up with a Wayback BBC link) suggests the first televised appeal took place in 1955, called the Children's Hour Christmas Appeal and was presented by Harry Corbett and Sooty. The Christmas Day Appeals continued on TV and radio until 1979. I dare say if you poke around in the Genome Project you can see what the running times were over the years.

Pudsey was introduced in 1985 and he looked like this (image from Wikipedia):

The later better known logo of him sitting on building blocks was introduced the following year.
JA
james-2001
He doesn't look very happy there.
VM
VMPhil
He doesn't look very happy there.

That’s probably what the person who commissioned the second logo had thought
JA
JAS84
Remember a few years ago when Corrie and everyone else would get involved?

Why have they stopped?

The other channels seemed to stop getting involved when they started their own telethons, for example ITV started Text Santa and Coronation Street, the bill, Emmerdale, Ant and Dec etc did sketches for them instead of for Children in Need. Same with Channel 4 once they started doing Stand up to Cancer Hollyoaks stopped doing performances on Children in Need.

Text Santa no longer exists, so that doesn't explain their lack of involvement this year.

Why did they leave the blink and you miss it clip from Doctor Who until after the news, a bit late for the family show. Also the Call the Midwife clip has been pushed to near midnight, even though the three actors appeared with Graham and Mel hours ago. What producer thought of that idea? Bring out the stars and not show the clip until four hours later, was that a mess up?
Both of those should definitely have been on before the news. Someone messed up for sure.
MR
mr_vivian
I remember Children In Need being more entertaining other years. I know it's a telethon but the idea is to get the viewers in so they raise as much money as possible, It really isn't the same without Terry. Nobody could match his personality and warmth.
:-(
A former member
Its become a machine, its make so much money now, there is no entertaining value to the programme, and hasn't been the case in years. but no one cares since its make lots of money.

Newer posts