TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

From Television Centre (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
I brought this up last time and almost got lynched, but Laura's delivery here is so poorly judged considering it's a disaster in which tens of people have died and hundreds more are missing.

It's so tone deaf to deliver this as a standard weather forecast. I was half expecting her to say "here's your summary" at the end.
Ittr, UBox and Lou Scannon gave kudos
ST
Stuart
I don't normally watch GMB, but I happened to take a look at about 7:20 this morning. It was quite interesting (and amusing) to watch some random MP getting mauled by Piers when she kept stating the same misleading reply to a Brexit question. So much better than some other interviewers, who seem to let people get away this such waffling.

I may be tempted to watch again sometime. Very Happy
WH
Whataday Founding member
Unfortunately he's also like it with guests that offer a reasoned debate.
DB
dbl

I may be tempted to watch again sometime. Very Happy

It almost makes me late for work, these on-air beefs. Laughing
CW
CraigWills
I brought this up last time and almost got lynched, but Laura's delivery here is so poorly judged considering it's a disaster in which tens of people have died and hundreds more are missing.

It's so tone deaf to deliver this as a standard weather forecast. I was half expecting her to say "here's your summary" at the end.

I don’t think her delivery was that bad tbh, she may well have delivered it as normal weather forecast, but I think that is the style there were going for as otherwise the newsreader could have talked through the graphics. I don’t think there’s an issue here.
Did someone hit the wrong button into the break at around 7:20 this morning? The big screen had the ITV Logo which I've only ever seen in the gallery as a slate. It was just very random and I've never seen it used before.
NE
Newsroom24

I thought her delivery was good, she delivered the information well and it was clear. I personally don't think that it was 'poorly judged', particularly because it was being delivered to a British audience who are far more removed from the disaster than an American audience may be.

I do agree that it may be slightly more sombre if it was being delivered to an American audience, on Good Morning America for instance, or even more so on a channel broadcasting specifically to California, but we probably shouldn't forget that while it is a tragic event, as it was delivered to a British audience we are slightly more removed from it. Even saying that, I do still think that Laura's delivery wouldn't have been inappropriate had she been presenting on GMA.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I do agree that it may be slightly more sombre if it was being delivered to an American audience, on Good Morning America for instance

Well it was being delivered internationally via Twitter - that's how I saw it, rather than on air. It's just too cheery for me, and I actually find it a bit uncomfortable when she smiles her way through the bit about how much damage has been done. Perhaps she doesn't mean to and that's just her default face. Just my opinion.
NE
Newsroom24
I do agree that it may be slightly more sombre if it was being delivered to an American audience, on Good Morning America for instance

Well it was being delivered internationally via Twitter - that's how I saw it, rather than on air. It's just too cheery for me, and I actually find it a bit uncomfortable when she smiles her way through the bit about how much damage has been done. Perhaps she doesn't mean to and that's just her default face. Just my opinion.

Fair enough. While it may be visible internationally, I would argue that GMB is primarily targeted towards a British audience.
ID
Identity
In response to Laura smiling in that video I didn’t see her smile once?
mannewskev, Ittr and Newsroom24 gave kudos
MA
mannewskev

Fair enough. While it may be visible internationally, I would argue that GMB is primarily targeted towards a British audience.

Exactly - I think anyone would take into account a broadcast's country of origin when critiquing the approach taken to a story.
WH
Whataday Founding member
In response to Laura smiling in that video I didn’t see her smile once?

I see a fairly cheery expression all the way through. Like I said, perhaps that's just her natural expression in repose. I'm not a big follower of her work.

Newer posts