Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
I think Take Two started as essentially a continuation of Ask Aspel, after Michael Aspel decided to stop presenting it. I liked the low key nature of the early Schofield years, when it was presented from what is presumably one of the presentation studios at Television Centre, with the bare studio walls visible, so was a bit disappointed when in 1989 they started to jazz it up with a more upbeat theme tune and I think that maybe when they introduced a studio audience. I think the remit eventually expanded to cover all aspects of the media - music, newspapers, magazines etc as well as TV - though I had long since stopped watching by then.

Yes, the early Pip years were definitely in the pres studios. There's a great interview with Pip in the Radio Times to promote his second series where he says that the one thing he's looking forward to in the new series is some new chairs, because the ones for the previous series were horrible.

As you say, it broadened its horizons a bit in later years, so it was never quite as good for a TV-mad kid like me, but I did stick with it until the bitter end, long after I'd grown out of much of the other CBBC output.
CL
Closedown
I remember Take Two previously being hosted by Josephine 'Dreft Automatic' Buchan. Wasn't the theme tune Night Birds by Shakatak back then?

Nearly - it was 'Living in the UK' by Shakatak. The original presenter was Lucie Skeaping, then Josephine Buchan took over from 1984-85.

Lucie is heard regularly on Radio 3's Early Music Show these days. And despite her children's TV history, much less patronising than many others on the network.
SP
Spencer
I remember Take Two previously being hosted by Josephine 'Dreft Automatic' Buchan. Wasn't the theme tune Night Birds by Shakatak back then?

Nearly - it was 'Living in the UK' by Shakatak.

Ah - thanks for correcting that. I wasn't 100% sure on the track, but then everything they did sounded the same. Wink
VM
VMPhil
Right at the end of this video, the fake widescreen TOTP titles when the new 3D version of the titles weren’t ready, that I didn’t even remember until pointed out on this forum

You can use http://www.stretch.site/ to view in the correct aspect ratio
JO
Joe
Giving you kudos for pointing me in the direction of stretch.site alone.
VM
VMPhil
Joe posted:
Giving you kudos for pointing me in the direction of stretch.site alone.

First brought to my attention by @transdiffusion on Twitter I think. Smile
:-(
A former member
Those real Balloon ident still look timeless to this day..
SW
Steve Williams
Two clip shows from the turn of the century, one good, one not so good, but you had to get your archive kicks where you could find them in those days.

First, from 1998, Crystal Balls with Griff Rhys Jones...

I found this really entertaining at the time and have always wanted to see it again. It's a compilation of crap predictions from the past, with some great clips and also some very amusing links from Griff. Richard Baker pops up as well, topically. There was a second edition of this which isn't on YouTube, alas. But well worth a watch, I think.

Less good is I Can't Believe We Watched That with Patrick Kielty from 2001...

This is a TV Hell-esque show although it isn't TV Hell, by a long way. It's not very good, but there are some interesting Nationwide clips and Michael Barratt appears to talk about the 'wide.
A former member
How long had Take two been running? TVARK Facebook page has uploaded a short end clip from 1983.
https://www.facebook.com/tvark.org/videos/2175780196008782/

Saw this on another forum, a complete edition of Take Two with Phillip Schofield from 20th April 1988, with a sparse studio set and a bucket on a floor to catch water dripping from the roof. I love the rather strange theme tune which I haven't heard for a full 30 years but is exactly as I remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3dZm2CLIUo
IS
Inspector Sands
A whole episode of The 6 o Clock Show from July 1982. So much good stuff in there including items on the new inventions of Walkmans and wedding videos

Last edited by Inspector Sands on 19 November 2018 2:19pm
Night Thoughts and DE88 gave kudos
A former member
From the same channel this car crash: Only seen on LWT and Southern. Mind you this series DID get broadcast across the uk for 5 weeks in june 1978.. HTV, anglia and STV, however border thought it was crap and took films instead. ( Tiswas replacement until Saturday Banana started in July)

SW
Steve Williams
I found this really entertaining at the time and have always wanted to see it again. It's a compilation of crap predictions from the past, with some great clips and also some very amusing links from Griff. Richard Baker pops up as well, topically. There was a second edition of this which isn't on YouTube, alas.

BREAKING NEWS: This is the second edition.

How long had Take two been running?

We discussed this on the previous pages, it ran from 1982 to 1996.

Newer posts