The Newsroom

Brexit Dramarama

UPDATE | Extension to 31st Jan 2020 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
dvboy posted:
BBC chosing to show the 1 o'clock news on the news channel when really they could have done with continuing breaking news as Rees-Mogg puts his no confidence letter in and it's reported the chair of the 1922 ctte is visiting the chief whip.

I didn't see it, but apparently the ITV Lunchtime News crashed into coverage of Rees-Mogg and worked quite well.
JK
JK08
5 News at 5 special: Battle for Brexit
watchingtv and TVfan5321 gave kudos
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Why do they insist on anchoring from the Westminster lawn? All this shouting makes it an unbearable watch. Is there nowhere else to go? Very Happy
alexhb01, Stuart and msim gave kudos
WO
Worzel
Duplicate.
JB
Joseph Bloggs
I agree, it's getting farcical to watch and listen to, especially when they start using a megaphone (the protesters that is). I know people have a right to protest, but we also have a right to hear the arguments from both sides to be heard clearly.

I guess the location is ideal for quick access to MPs and other guests who are wandering around.

What can be done? I don't know on what grounds the protesters could be arrested for, breach of the peace perhaps?
WO
Worzel
I agree, it's getting farcical to watch and listen to, especially when they start using a megaphone (the protesters that is). I know people have a right to protest, but we also have a right to hear the arguments from both sides to be heard clearly.

I guess the location is ideal for quick access to MPs and other guests who are wandering around.

What can be done? I don't know on what grounds the protesters could be arrested for, breach of the peace perhaps?

Maybe the guy who's constantly protesting and trying to get his plackards in shot on BBC News could go and get a proper job and contribute something useful to the economy? He's constantly there and is a real nuisance.
RK
Rkolsen

Isn’t College Green just outside their building where their Westminster offices are? Shouldn’t be hard for ministers to get there.

I take it there’s a law where broadcasters can’t broadcast within the Palace of Westminster like in the US Capitol where they stake out of their offices and follow them along the basement corridors.
BR
Brekkie
Best episode of Brexit in quite sometime.
DV
dvboy
They can broadcast from the central lobby but tend not to anchor from there, I suspect only certain reporters have access.

As for the man shouting, if they move he will only follow, and if they move to a vantage point where he cannot be heard, they will be accused of trying to censor him.

The News Channel and World simulcasted the 6 again as yesterday.
AN
Andrew Founding member
They need to roll out the glass window studios, so he can’t be heard and also so the presenters don’t have to stand out in the cold.
Stuart and Ben Shatliff gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
I guess one advantage of using presenters on location during times like this is the reporters can actually spend time doing their job, gathering the news and seeking out the stories rather than standing around for lives to the studio, with the presenter there to conduct any interviews with passing MPs etc. instead.

At the moment though Westminster seems to be about as far as news presenters get to go when it comes to anchoring on location following a scaling down of the practice in recent years across most broadcasters.
JO
Josh
BBC News sound just cut out for 20 seconds during an interview in B100D.

Seems to be on a 8 minute delay according to the test card.

(19:09:57 - clock showed 19:17)

Newer posts