The Newsroom

Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TT
TTRWE
9.30pm to 10.00pm had serious issues, two links failed and went to an emergency break, didn't come back and instead we got a load of Sky Sports News promos from a few years ago for half an hour.

This came on at 9.55pm

Really hope Comcast put an end to this nonsense,, fix the system or go back to one that works. The production quality has been shocking and add that to poor studios and it's a shame to see how far the channel has sunk.

They've had this system for 9 months and many of the problems from when it launched is still commonplace. It was a bold direction that they went in and I see the merits of going fully automated and the budget savings that they would make, but the simple fact is the system still doesn't perform to acceptable levels and surely sooner or later they need to cut their losses?
Last edited by TTRWE on 13 November 2018 10:02pm - 8 times in total
richard h, BBI45 and DavidWhitfield gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Can’t say I’ve seen many technical issues myself - certainly not as many as I’ve seen on the BBC. Maybe you’re just unlucky.
RK
Rkolsen
Are there issues in show or going into/out of breaks and links? If that’s the case it may not be OverDrive but the overall master control system they have.
CA
cat

However it did appear that they used NBC roof top space.

I'd trust your judgment on this over mine, but it looked to me to be very similar to the rooftop space they'd used previously, and about in line with the angle from the Sky (Fox) bureau in DC, which is down the road from the Capitol.

Either way, it's presumably only a matter of time. Sky (with Fox) in DC will have a similar situation to NBC (with ITN) in London. Contracts, leases, technical issues, contractual places of work .. it'll take a long time to make changes to that, and right now with perfectly good existing contracts and office spaces budgeted and paid for, there may be no practical or financial advantages.

And anyone commenting "Comcast will sort that out" needs to cool down... They've been owners for 10 minutes, it's clear that they want Sky to run itself, and Sky News was *the* lightning rod issue for the entire Sky takeover, with undertakings given by Comcast about its independence. That doesn't mean they won't do anything with it ever, but I cannot for a moment think one of their first moves will be to start interfering with the channel.
LH
lhx1985
TTRWE posted:
9.30pm to 10.00pm had serious issues, two links failed and went to an emergency break, didn't come back and instead we got a load of Sky Sports News promos from a few years ago for half an hour.

This came on at 9.55pm

Really hope Comcast put an end to this nonsense,, fix the system or go back to one that works. The production quality has been shocking and add that to poor studios and it's a shame to see how far the channel has sunk.

They've had this system for 9 months and many of the problems from when it launched is still commonplace. It was a bold direction that they went in and I see the merits of going fully automated and the budget savings that they would make, but the simple fact is the system still doesn't perform to acceptable levels and surely sooner or later they need to cut their losses?

I'm not surprised that presentation has a caption like that in the system? But doesn't that style (ie font, weight, etc) belong to Sky's 1990s tombstone era?
GE
thegeek Founding member
I'm not surprised that presentation has a caption like that in the system? But doesn't that style (ie font, weight, etc) belong to Sky's 1990s tombstone era?

I think it's from the 97-97 'egg' look - see here and here.

The apology probably comes from a caption inserter somewhere in TX - but it seems really quite unlikely that they've had the same one kicking around for 20 years. It wouldn't be HD, for a start!
IS
Inspector Sands

The apology probably comes from a caption inserter somewhere in TX - but it seems really quite unlikely that they've had the same one kicking around for 20 years. It wouldn't be HD, for a start!

and they've moved their playout to a totally new facility since
VM
VMPhil
Would it even be in 16:9? Wonder if it’s stretched from 4:3, if it really is of that vintage. How odd!
MA
mapperuo
Can’t say I’ve seen many technical issues myself - certainly not as many as I’ve seen on the BBC. Maybe you’re just unlucky.

Just for devils advocate. I just turned on Sky News now and caught Adam Boulton throwing to a break but it cutting to the break before he had finished talking. Guess I'm unlucky too.
LH
lhx1985
That's always been an issue with Sky News - well before their move to their super-duper (yet buggy as hell) new facility.

Always assumed that was more human error - timing - than technical/automation.
RK
Rkolsen
cat posted:

However it did appear that they used NBC roof top space.

I'd trust your judgment on this over mine, but it looked to me to be very similar to the rooftop space they'd used previously, and about in line with the angle from the Sky (Fox) bureau in DC, which is down the road from the Capitol.

It would be the same view angle as if they were with Fox. Fox and NBC are in the same office building for the Capitol Hill bureaus.

I’m pretty sure it would have been Sky. The CTV anchor I saw on Instagram stories, the day after the election, was pointing out broadcasters including a British one on the roof. I privately messaged him and asked if that was the NBC Newschannel area, he said yes. He was going on the roof at 7PM ET which would be 12 AM in the UK and that was when Sky had their specials and ITN wouldn’t have been on at that time.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 15 November 2018 1:20am - 2 times in total
SK
skyviewer
What's wrong with the output from Westminster. The picture has an extrem green/yellow colour cast. Nearly unwatchable.

Newer posts