The Newsroom

Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I normally stay out of these but on the Cenotaph coverage just now they were talking about how Yorkshire is now the only county with it's own regiment as others have been amalgamated with neighbouring counties.

Nobody is going to be confused by a reference to Yorkshire.
DE88, tightrope78 and London Lite gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
Nobody is being confused with a reference to Yorkshire.

But if it is being used as a geographical location on a caption, in a bulletin with other locations mentioned in terms of their county, it should always have a compass point in front of it.

If its being used as a regional team like North East or South West then that is perfectly fine.

Don't get me started on when organisations, such a shops listing where there stores are, list the Yorkshire ones under 'North East' mixed in with their branches in Newcastle and Durham, thinking the North is just NE or NW
MA
manclad

Don't get me started on when organisations, such a shops listing where there stores are, list the Yorkshire ones under 'North East' mixed in with their branches in Newcastle and Durham, thinking the North is just NE or NW

Let’s be fair though.... the heart of the North West is directly west of Yorkshire so you can see the reasoning of clumping Yorkshire with (Tyne Tees) North East.

It’s no different then clumping Carlisle with Manchester.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There definitely isn't a county called Yorkshire, it's almost as if they think there is and South Yorkshire just means the south bit of Yorkshire, like you might say East London.

As someone born in Leeds nearly 40 years ago and having lived in Huddersfield for around 20 years, that's BS. Yorkshire is definitely a thing

Andrew was clearly saying that there is not a single county called just Yorkshire (which is correct, as there are four different counties each with at least one other word in front of the word Yorkshire), and he most certainly did not say that Yorkshire wasn't even "a thing " at all. You're rebuffing him for something that isn't what the wording that he used actually sodding well said, which is ludicrous.

My point was that the arbitrary administrative counties are not the ones that people identify themselves with. Much like nobody in Huddersfield will ever tell you that they are from Kirklees (Unless part of a conversation about crap councils)
Last edited by Steve in Pudsey on 12 November 2018 3:04am
CA
cat
At the risk of bringing this back on topic...

Interesting Bloomberg interview last week with Brian Roberts, in which he is pressed for examples of Comcast and Sky working together. He says Sky News “can draw on NBC News content for the US midterms”

Clearly they did not, and in fact I’ve seen two ABC people pop up on the channel covering the wildfires this last week.

Presumably more a case of using existing partnerships than some sort of mini show of editorial independence.

Either that or they haven’t got the memo
BR
Brekkie
NBC presumably has some kind of deal in place with ITV already which even with common ownership Sky can't just muscle in on, and have their own deals in place anyway. Any realignment might not happen until those deals expire.
:-(
A former member
Why cant there have deal with both?
RE
Reece24
Problems with The News Hour, complete mess going to the weather (which turned out to go to the break... eventually) and they're now replaying the last hour of The Kay Burley Show.
OV
Orry Verducci
Problems with The News Hour, complete mess going to the weather (which turned out to go to the break... eventually) and they're now replaying the last hour of The Kay Burley Show.

Seems the gallery automation had a bit of a meltdown coming out of the sports news, and was cutting between sources in quick succession. Clearly transmission then tried to jumping through the events on their automation to get to the ad break, which resulted in back to back weather sponsor stings playing out.

The recording of the Kay Burley show seems to be currently playing from transmission, as it had a slow fade in of the ticker coming out of the break which gives away anything coming from them. That would suggest some poor engineer is currently in the gallery probably rebooting everything.

And as I finish typing this they've just cut back to The News Hour, with Mark Austin apologising for the problems.
CL
Closedown
Didn't something similar happen on day one of Breakfast Time? Some sort of automated vision switching test which had never previously gone to air, since programmes weren't previously seen at that time of day.
TT
TTRWE
Really disappointing such issues are still commonplace.

Hopefully the Comcast takeover will result in Sky News production values being restored to their world class that they were before this automation started.
RK
Rkolsen
cat posted:
At the risk of bringing this back on topic...

Interesting Bloomberg interview last week with Brian Roberts, in which he is pressed for examples of Comcast and Sky working together. He says Sky News “can draw on NBC News content for the US midterms”

Clearly they did not, and in fact I’ve seen two ABC people pop up on the channel covering the wildfires this last week.

Presumably more a case of using existing partnerships than some sort of mini show of editorial independence.

Either that or they haven’t got the memo

However it did appear that they used NBC roof top space.

TTRWE posted:
Really disappointing such issues are still commonplace.

Hopefully the Comcast takeover will result in Sky News production values being restored to their world class that they were before this automation started.

All of the NBC/Telemundo stations use the same software Sky News uses, Ross OverDrive, I don’t think a show has been lost due to that. Sure it’s all on a local level but they don’t have the kind of support a news channel has. Didn’t they also move to IP production? It could be that the software is not playing nice with that as well.

Newer posts