TV Home Forum

Christmas Commercials 2018

(October 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
A bit of context might be good here. The Iceland ad has been banned by Clearcast because it is deemed too political to run in a standard ad slot.

Strictly speaking, Clearcast haven't banned it, because they don't have the power to ban ads - they've just expressed their opinion that it's likely to be in breach of the advertising code. If Iceland could persuade a broadcaster to run it, then they'd probably get a slap on the wrist from the ASA, and told not to run it again. (The Ryanair school of advertising, there)

In about six months time. They know they got much more publicity from it being "banned".
WH
Whataday Founding member
A bit of context might be good here. The Iceland ad has been banned by Clearcast because it is deemed too political to run in a standard ad slot.

Strictly speaking, Clearcast haven't banned it, because they don't have the power to ban ads - they've just expressed their opinion that it's likely to be in breach of the advertising code. If Iceland could persuade a broadcaster to run it, then they'd probably get a slap on the wrist from the ASA, and told not to run it again. (The Ryanair school of advertising, there)

Oh I know. It's not a Christmas ad, it's not officially banned and it's not strictly an ad for Iceland. But apart from that it's a banned Iceland Christmas ad Wink

It's had millions of views today, so mission accomplished.
IS
Inspector Sands

I really don't like where John Lewis are going here.

Or not....
https://www.radiox.co.uk/radio/shows-presenters/chris-moyles/video-john-lewis-respond-moyles-christmas-ad-prank/
remlap, ethanh05 and fanoftv gave kudos
TI
TIGHazard
Are we going to have the Halifax inserting the fat Welsh bloke into a classic Christmas film after they've already butchered Ghostbusters and The Wizard Of Oz?

Whoa, James. If Halifax are smart they'll start doing gocompare like ads where he gets put in dangerous films because they know people don't like him. My idea for Christmas: Gremlins.
ET
ethanh05
Are we going to have the Halifax inserting the fat Welsh bloke into a classic Christmas film after they've already butchered Ghostbusters and The Wizard Of Oz?

Whoa, James. If Halifax are smart they'll start doing gocompare like ads where he gets put in dangerous films because they know people don't like him. My idea for Christmas: Gremlins.

If they did do that, they missed a trick at Halloween: they could have him killed.
TI
TIGHazard
One from last week that wasn't posted.

ET
ethanh05
I believe I have found the first sighting of the truck this year.
FA
fanoftv
I believe I have found the first sighting of the truck this year.

Physical truck on tour or advert? I saw the advert during the X Factor last night.
DV
dvboy
The truck is definitely already on tour.
DV
dvboy
Just seen an advert for Intu Merry Hill on a recording from Sky Arts earlier. "Merry Hill" mentioned in vision only, is this going out nationally or is it possible to add regional elements in vision on Sky channels?
FA
fanoftv
Sky adsmart?

‘Sky AdSmart uses an algorithm that helps to make sure that ads play out when a chosen audience is most likely to be watching. It takes into account the projected linear audience which helps to enhance targeting within the household.’
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes, the advert is being played from the hard drive of your Sky box, not from the satellite

Newer posts