TV Home Forum

Christmas TV 2018

Schedules and programme discussion (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
TIGHazard
I think the last time they did that was Titanic back in 1999.
Pre watershed I seem to recall. There will have been more than a few edits but how on earth did they get round the drawing scene, given how central it is to the plot?

Well according to IMDB

Quote:

In the NBC television version, the nudity scene with Kate Winslet is edited out

Quote:

When aired on TNT, the scene where Jack is drawing Rose is a different take. The board that he uses to write on is higher to cover up any of her nude body.

So one of those. Or maybe they blurred it?
PF
PFML84
I remember it being shown on BBC TWO in the 2000's and they did leave the drawing scene in. But of course all of the swearing was removed, though I think Fabrizio's "b*stardo!" near the end was left in.
GA
Gallunach
Pre watershed I seem to recall. There will have been more than a few edits but how on earth did they get round the drawing scene, given how central it is to the plot?

3 or 4 years RTE showed it at lunchtime on Christmas day unedited
JK
JKDerry

My guess, it was RTE, they just took the DVD and bunged it on air to fill three and a half hours and never bothered to edit it.
NG
noggin Founding member
e watershed I seem to recall. There will have been more than a few edits but how on earth did they get round the drawing scene, given how central it is to the plot?

My guess, it was RTE, they just took the DVD and bunged it on air to fill three and a half hours and never bothered to edit it.

DVDs are not likely to be used as TX sources for movies by any mainstream public broadcaster in Europe...
GA
Gallunach
e watershed I seem to recall. There will have been more than a few edits but how on earth did they get round the drawing scene, given how central it is to the plot?

More to do with the fact that they take a more sensible view of a movie and it's contents and whether as in this case any nudity is of a non sexual nature which is allowed even in Britain to be shown at any time of the day , hence Channel 4's Life classes a few years ago , and wouldn't even try show a movie like Beverly Hills cop in an unsuitable slot by editing it .

Probably also helps their regulator isn't as mad as Ofcom in responding to one single complaint
AR
Argybargy
Regarding Doctor Who, it has now officially been confirmed by the BBC themselves that this year's special will be shown on New Years Day and not Christmas Day.
Last edited by Argybargy on 15 November 2018 9:01am
JK
JKDerry
Doctor Who has done poorly in the Christmas night ratings lately. They are hoping New Year's Day will attract large viewers who feel after Boxing Day, festive programming is poor. Sherlock always did well on New Year's Day. This will free up early evening Christmas Day for something different for BBC One.

Lately BBC One Christmas Night have been very formulaic. Dr Who, Strictly, Call the Midwife, Eastenders and Mrs Brown's Boys. You could predict each year this line up. Maybe 2018 will see a change.
AR
Argybargy
Other than the absence of Doctor Who, I wouldn't go holding your breath about any other changes being made to BBC One's Christmas Night line-up this year. Or next year. Or the year after......
BR
Brekkie
7pm on New Years Day a better slot than 5pm on Christmas Day. Is there a Sherlock this year?
JC
JCB
7pm on New Years Day a better slot than 5pm on Christmas Day. Is there a Sherlock this year?

It leaves a hole on Christmas Day though. It's all very well shaking up the familiar schedule but they've removed one of the few Christmas Day traditions that's for the kids. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they've got lined up to replace it.
JK
JKDerry

No Sherlock, sorry.

Newer posts