TV Home Forum

Could UKTV be scrapped?

To allow concentration on a Netflix rival... (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PF
PFML84
You used to be able to Google the link and the full article would show up but they seemed to have fixed that now.
GO
gottago
It basically says the BBC want the general ent channels while Discovery want the lifestyle channels. As the general ent channels are much more valuable, the BBC will have to pay Discovery more for the split and they want to use channel 12 as leverage to try and reduce the cost.
JA
JAS84
You used to be able to Google the link and the full article would show up but they seemed to have fixed that now.
Yeah, I tried that.
ST
Stuart
I suspect that the 'Dave' brand is strong enough to survive being pushed down the DTT EPG.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I suspect that the 'Dave' brand is strong enough to survive being pushed down the DTT EPG.

And it wouldn't be a dramatic move either. Dave would move to LCN 19 with Yesterday moving down to 37.
GO
gottago

And it wouldn't be a dramatic move either. Dave would move to LCN 19 with Yesterday moving down to 37.

That’s assuming the BBC get Yesterday. So far from the articles I’ve seen all that’s been mentioned is Discovery want Good Food, Home and Eden, while the BBC want Gold, W and Dave. No mention of the other four other channels although the original a516 article suggested a 50:50 split so I would assume the BBC would take Drama and Alibi while Discovery take Really and Yesterday.
NW
nwtv2003

They’re more likely to move Really further down the EPG, I’m sure Dave would probably move to 17, if it is assumed that BBC Studios takes the entertainment channels.
JA
JAS84

That’s assuming the BBC get Yesterday. So far from the articles I’ve seen all that’s been mentioned is Discovery want Good Food, Home and Eden, while the BBC want Gold, W and Dave. No mention of the other four other channels although the original a516 article suggested a 50:50 split so I would assume the BBC would take Drama and Alibi while Discovery take Really and Yesterday.

The article doesn't suggest a 50:50 split, it says UKTV is currently a 50:50 joint venture.
WH
Whataday Founding member
It was my understanding that the split would be 60:40 in BBC Studios' favour.
Stuart and Lou Scannon gave kudos
CY
cylon6
Surprised by this potential news
KE
kernow
It was also my understanding that it would be a 60:40 split, which is why the BBC was planning to pay Discovery £100m for 10% of UKTV, so that the BBC would get the 6 entertainment channels, and Discovery would get the 4 lifestyle channels.
TT
TellyTime
If the channels are split 6 to BBC and 4 to Discovery, would it be:

BBC (Gold, Dave, Drama, W, Alibi & Really)

Discovery (Good Food, Eden, Yesterday & Home)

That would be much better for the BBC, getting the 6 successful entertainment channels.

Discovery would have the 4 less popular factual and lifestyle channels, which have similar content to their existing channels.

Newer posts