TV Home Forum

26th Anniversary of the biggest shake up in ITV

Formerly 25th Anniversary (December 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Richard
I think pretty much all the Fraggle Rocks exist (although some are videotape only) but it's the paperwork which is the main issue to rebroadcast, apparently. Some are on YouTube:

:-(
A former member
It was never the paperwork, it was the tapes.. the rights belong to henson, Hence why 12 episode put out.
JA
james-2001
I think pretty much all the Fraggle Rocks exist (although some are videotape only) but it's the paperwork which is the main issue to rebroadcast, apparently. Some are on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcu3b922fSU

It was incredibly annoying during the CITV 30th Birthday weekend they showed the US version of Fraggle Rock, particularly as I'm pretty sure CITV never showed it so it didn't belong on there. If they couldn't get the UK version, they'd have been better off not showing it at all.

The lack of TVS content (apart from Art Attack) was quite a big hole in that weekend anyway, as they were a big contributor to CITV for the first 10 years. I'm sure I read they had planned to show a series 1 episode of Finders Keepers too, but had to change it to a series 4 one because of rights issues.
Last edited by james-2001 on 8 November 2018 11:41pm
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Most of Fraggle Rock UK exists courtesy of off-air recordings:
http://www.nightshade.org.uk/fraggleuk.html

But I dare say most people will probably not be aware that there was the UK inserts to Fraggle Rock at all as they'll just remember the main puppet segments.
:-(
A former member
It should just be one: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/02/missing-episodes-fraggle-rock-uk/
WW
WW Update
If they couldn't get the UK version, they'd have been better off not showing it at all.

Why? The U.S. version was the one that was distributed internationally (except in a few countries that did their own inserts).
JA
james-2001
If they couldn't get the UK version, they'd have been better off not showing it at all.

Why? The U.S. version was the one that was distributed internationally (except in a few countries that did their own inserts).

Because it was commemorating the 30th birthday of CITV by repeating some of their old programmes. As CITV never showed the US version, I don't think it should be have been shown as part of that.

Of course there's nothing wrong with the US version being repeated generally, I just think it was misleading to have it shown as part of CITV's birthday celebrations when it's not what they actually showed.
Last edited by james-2001 on 9 November 2018 12:43am
IS
Inspector Sands
Jonwo posted:

The final series and episodes changed the association with Thames to association with Pearson Television as Thames had been bought by Pearson at the point. I assume Fremantle who now owns Thames still has a stake in Men Behaving Badly.

I think they should do a one-off with the original cast or perhaps a sequel series. They seem more receptive to the idea now then they were in the past

I'm sure they did a reunion special episode. For Comic Relief or similar didn't they?
WH
Whataday Founding member
The lack of TVS content (apart from Art Attack) was quite a big hole in that weekend anyway, as they were a big contributor to CITV for the first 10 years. I'm sure I read they had planned to show a series 1 episode of Finders Keepers too, but had to change it to a series 4 one because of rights issues.

I think you're being a little overdramatic to suggest it was a "big hole" considering in addition to Art Attack the weekend featured Finders Keepers, Fraggle Rock and How 2. Yes they were more recent episodes due to the rights issues which have been discussed to death on here, but they still represented TVS' contribution to CITV.

I seem to recall that the Dramarama aired that weekend was an actual TVS production, presumably because the rights were available for any contribution to that series.
SW
Steve Williams
While we know Disney have effectively acquired it purely by accident, I would not be surprised if the entire physical archive is somewhere at ITV - I'm presuming with this logic the Game Show Story documentary was an internal ITV Studios production and not an Indie.

It was a Shiver production, so yes, in-house at ITV. But that show was a piece of light entertainment and the TVS Catchphrase clip just used in a montage to represent game shows in general rather than a specific piece about Catchphrase and TVS - so, good though that doc was, they clearly weren't spooling through acres of tape and ploughing through acres of paperwork to find it and digging out rare footage, it was clearly very easily available.

Presumably it's a bit like the Mike Smith situation, it's perfectly possible to show clips from them under fair use, but showing the whole programme is much more complicated.
IN
Interceptor
While we know Disney have effectively acquired it purely by accident, I would not be surprised if the entire physical archive is somewhere at ITV - I'm presuming with this logic the Game Show Story documentary was an internal ITV Studios production and not an Indie.

It was a Shiver production, so yes, in-house at ITV. But that show was a piece of light entertainment and the TVS Catchphrase clip just used in a montage to represent game shows in general rather than a specific piece about Catchphrase and TVS - so, good though that doc was, they clearly weren't spooling through acres of tape and ploughing through acres of paperwork to find it and digging out rare footage, it was clearly very easily available.

Presumably it's a bit like the Mike Smith situation, it's perfectly possible to show clips from them under fair use, but showing the whole programme is much more complicated.

Yes - the paperwork is irrelevant for a "fair use" clip as there are no rights to settle, if any fee is paid to the distributor then it is purely for the admin involved in providing a copy. Equally fees can be paid to somebody other than the distributor for a copy if it's convenient, as various YouTube'rs will tell you; presumably if a fee was paid for access to this Catchphrase master then it would have been on that basis.

As might have been discussed here once or twice before, proper full-length distribution is impossible because there is no record of who should be paid what.
JA
james-2001
I seem to recall that the Dramarama aired that weekend was an actual TVS production, presumably because the rights were available for any contribution to that series.

It was a Yorkshire production actually.

Newer posts