(October 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
AxG posted:
So according to the title and first two lines of the Campaign article:
Quote:
"Coke truck returns in revamped ad starring Zero Sugar variant"
We've had Aldi's spin on the Coca-Cola truck, but now the "real thing" is here in a new version of the long-running "Holidays are coming" campaign.

And that's all the article I get without paying.

This is the ad Coca-Cola are using in France, no trucks but a difference version of "Holidays are coming"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0mclXfBGzE

This is the video from that article (viewing it in a private window shows the whole article):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKRm1K8OxPQ

I notice in that advert they've actually left in the "Always" part of the logo on the back of the lorry, which they've been cutting out for god knows how long.
TI
TIGHazard
AxG posted:
So according to the title and first two lines of the Campaign article:
And that's all the article I get without paying.

This is the ad Coca-Cola are using in France, no trucks but a difference version of "Holidays are coming"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0mclXfBGzE

This is the video from that article (viewing it in a private window shows the whole article):

I notice in that advert they've actually left in the "Always" part of the logo on the back of the lorry, which they've been cutting out for god knows how long.

Didn't Santa used to wink at the end as well?
AG
AxG

He drank the bottle, which this full 1 minute version shows.

Also I can't believe that this advert is 12 years old, I certainly did not like it at the time due to it replacing the original trucks "Holidays are Coming" music (even though NI did use "Holidays are Coming" with it), but now I love the music in it.
Last edited by AxG on 7 November 2018 11:12am
BH
BillyH Founding member
Am I right in thinking that the trucks disappeared completely for a few years circa the mid-2000s? I remember the original run of them (about three or four different ones from the mid-90s-early 00s) then nothing until the "revival" by the end of the 00s/early 10s.
JA
james-2001

Ooh matron
WH
Whataday Founding member
Personally I've never seen the fuss about the Coca Cola truck advert. The 'holidays' thing annoys me for a start, and no matter how much they try i will never associate Coke with Christmas... in fact I associate it with my actual holidays, it's a warm weather drink

I can't relate to that at all.

It always meant "School Holidays are coming" to me, so it worked for Christmas. Also I can't think of Christmas nibbles such as Pringles and Twiglets (not to be touched until Christmas Eve!) without a couple of giant bottles of Coke.
BA
bilky asko
Pop as a Christmas treat is certainly a thing from my childhood.
Whataday, DJ Dave and Jon gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands

It always meant "School Holidays are coming" to me, so it worked for Christmas.

Well I was too old for school while it has been on, so I don't get that connection (not that I'd have made that link as Christmas isn't unique as a school holiday)

I'm not a religious person who cares about the sanctity of the word Christmas or anything, but I just really can't stand the use of the word 'holidays', it's an awful Americanism only used here by big multinationals
AN
Andrew Founding member

Having said that, the truck isn't universal. I was surprised to learn that Americans had never heard of it, given it feels like such a US ad.

Yes, especially as the song is 'holidays are coming'... unless that's universal but the truck isn't?

Personally I've never seen the fuss about the Coca Cola truck advert. The 'holidays' thing annoys me for a start, and no matter how much they try i will never associate Coke with Christmas... in fact I associate it with my actual holidays, it's a warm weather drink

I agree entirely, never liked the ‘Holidays’ part.

I think this view should be on for Greg James’ “Unpopular Opinions” feature though
FA
fanoftv
Bring back the polar bears one, it was a peaceful and pretty looking advert. Every version of the Trucks ad they have shown have butchered it from the original to add fancy graphics or to chop the start or end off. Just leave it alone!

I remember that they cleverly used the trucks in the run up to Christmas and when the holidays had arrived the polar bears were used in advertising.
AG
AxG
Boots
IN
Interceptor
Am I right in thinking that the trucks disappeared completely for a few years circa the mid-2000s? I remember the original run of them (about three or four different ones from the mid-90s-early 00s) then nothing until the "revival" by the end of the 00s/early 10s.

In 2007 the trucks advert was only seen a very small number of breaks, perhaps just one (during the Christmas Eve edition of Friday Night Project). Since 2008 it's been used as a 'teaser' from late-November in to the main campaign I believe.

I'm glad this year's version cuts a second or so later than before, but I wish they would just let the tune play out.

Newer posts